Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sim Card in Thailand

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello there, I have heard that it is easy to get a pay as you go sim card in Thailand but I would like to know were they sell them and also can I use them in Laos or will I have to buy another sim card there? Thankyou in advance for any answers.

#1 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 08:38

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

You can buy SIMs and credit easily at any 7/11, Family Mart or similar store. It's usually a couple of bucks for the SIM and only slightly more for the credit. I sincerely doubt you'll be able to use a Thai SIM in Laos, unless you're very close to the border and pick up a signal from a Thai tower. I always keep a toothpick in my wallet for popping open the SIM hatch and making the ol' switcheroo on my iPhone when crossing the border to Malaysia.

It's not so hard to juggle SIMs - but it would be cool to have one of those phones that houses two at once. Seem to be popular in Thailand where most people have at least two phone numbers.

#2 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 12:14

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

you can easily find it at seven eleven shop or you can even get it at the airport.... You can use them in Laos if there is enough signal otherwise you will have to open it for roaming system. It would be better for you to get 2 sim cards though

#3 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 17:34

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

2 sims is indeed the best.
    I always use Dtac in thailand and Tigo in Laos.

Cheap anyway so just switch sim's.

the Thai Dtac works in Vientianne, Pakse and Si Phan Don in Laos but If you need to call back to thailand with that sim, it's cheaper to call with a Lao sim to thailand.
    Tigo sim's in Laos are available at almost every shop, just look around for "Tigo" signs and you're good.

#4 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 02:28

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

wow lots of info, cheers guys really appreciate the help, sounds easy enough, nice one!

Cranky 'Big Dawg' Carrot!! long time mate!!... you still floating about the land of Thai??

#5 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 05:59

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@LC - Yup, floating in the moat around Chiang Mai ;)

#6 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 17:41

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Nice, livin the dream! I'll be passing through near the end of this month can't bloody wait!

#7 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 04:22

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Giz a buzz when you're in the area and we'll drain the town of Sangsom or something

#8 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 15:25

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Sounds like a plan, I'll get at you closer the time crank dogg!
    Lechrizzy :)

#9 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 07:36

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Sounds like a plan, I'll get at you closer the time crank dogg!
    Lechrizzy :)

#10 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 07:37

• Advertisement

• jjpeter11

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2012

Yes Le Chron, It is easy to get payg sim card in Thailand. You can use SIM Card for Thailand for your Thailand trip. Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}Pre-paidSIM cards are generally an excellent way to ensure the user gets mobile phonesystem which works towards your budget. You will have to pay for prior to tothe items on the mobile.

#11 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 23:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.