Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Confusion about Thai Visa

  • dslash01

    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011
    Posts: 4

    I am trying to figure out what type of Visa will be needed as US Citizens. We will arrive by plane in Thailand and stay 8 days before flying to Siem Reap, Cambodia. We will renter Thailand 1 week later via land from Laos and stay an additional 20 days. We will be in Luang Prabang in Laos before taking the boat to Thailand.
    Is the multi entry visa what we have to get? Or is it possible to use the 30 day entry upon arrival by plane and then get a tourist visa before returning to Thailand? Since we get 15 days upon rentry by land can we extend that the additional 5 days? If so where could we do that?
    Thanks for your help

    #1 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 04:52

  • Advertisement

  • sirhalberd

    Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007
    Posts: 295

    Delay your departure from Thailand 5 days and then go to Cambodia. That way when you get the free 15 day Visa Exemption stamp in your passport you will have enough days to fly home before the 15 days runs out.

    Or stay in Cambodia longer until the 15 days for Thailand is enough to bring you up to the departure day. Or fly into Bangkok and get another free 30 days.


    #2 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 08:50

  • dslash01

    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011
    Posts: 4

    Thank you for your response. Yes, I realize we could change our trip, but that's not what we want to do.

    #3 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 09:25

  • DLuek

    TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1106
    Total reviews: 14

    If you don't want to change your trip then your options are to get a multiple entry visa before you leave home, or pick up a single entry tourist visa while in Cambodia or Laos. Sounds like if that's what you decide to do your best bet will be to get it in Vientiane. It will take two business days and is not a huge hassle but does take some effort and patience. You can't extend the 15 free days that you get when arriving overland. If you overstay by 5 days you'll have to pay a 2500 baht fee (unless it's gone up?), and perhaps get a hassling by Thai immigration for overstaying your alloted time.

    #4 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 11:25

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1787

    Three choices:
    1. Get a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane. Takes two days costs 1000 baht for single entry, you get a 60-day entry. Overkill perhaps?
    2. Fly back to Thailand (Luang Prabang - Chiang Mai , around $160) and get 30 days visa- exempt.
    3. Return to Thailand by land (boat) get 15 days visa exempt, then you can extend this 7 more days at Immigration (next to the Chiang Mai airport) for 1900 baht. Yes you can!

    #5 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 13:06

  • dslash01

    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011
    Posts: 4

    Thanks! I now understand what my options are. Appreciate your responses. We may just get a double entry Visa before we leave the US.

    #6 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 19:31

  • ThailandDia-

    Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 32

    If you overstay your visa, you simply pay 500Bt a day when living the country, no problem.

    #7 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 17:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai visa - confusion :S ... By stokates on 9 Jul 2009 6 2685 20 Aug 2009
Confusion with Thai Visa's!! ... By KoalaBeans on 8 Sep 2013 5 7149 11 Sep 2013
Visa confusion ... By joejowers on 22 Jan 2009 3 1530 23 Jan 2009
Confusion over Visa ... By MLSinclair on 27 Mar 2010 11 2656 31 Mar 2010
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 13 Dec 2012 3 1016 25 Dec 2012
confusion about the e-visa ... By buecax on 16 Jul 2009 3 2394 16 Jul 2009
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 10 Dec 2012 10 2916 28 Dec 2012