Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

From Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao

• Mia

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2006

Hello there,

greetings. I will be arriving in Chiang Mai late January, staying for one week. My agenda is to visit the Karens hill tribe/some small trekking activity in this trip and take it easy in Chiang Mai.

I am considering going to Chiang Dao, staying at the ChiangDao Nest 1. I got some useful information from here, about using the public transport to reach Chiang Dao and so on. I also saw on the website of the 'resort', the tours they offer. My question is - Since there are so many competitive travel agencies in Chiang Mai, which is a wiser and cheaper(much or little more) option?

1)Book the room at Chiang Dao Nest online, take the public bus there, book the tour with them when i arrive there?

2)Shop around in Chiang Mai, get the best deal, go with it and let the travel agency take care of everything?

Any kind of advice would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Mia

#1 Posted: 21/1/2007 - 00:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mia,

You'll get a cheaper trek out of Chiang Mai but it may not be better! I'd suggest following option 1 -- you can probably book the trek through them in advance as well if you wish.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2007 - 05:46

• Mia

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2006

Thanks very much! I'll probably do that.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2007 - 11:35

• meyers66

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Mia and others,
    I am planning on traveling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao Nest 2 in early February 07 by public bus as well. Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.
    FYI in 2/06 I went on a day eco tour out of Chiang mai with a TAT approved company. We confirmed it was private. It wasn't. We overpaid by 400B each. Not worth it. It seems like the companies act as brokers. I suggest you visit TAT first.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2007 - 22:15

• Mia

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2006

Hello Meyers66,

Chiang Dao Nest is lovely. Waking up to the crisp fresh air with mountain view at the doorstep was grand for me. It turns cold in the evenings, be sure to have warm clothes and jumper. Sitting by the fireplace under the pitch dark sky dotted with countless stars was charming, even more with a couple of beer changs.

Kitchen was closed for dinner at Nest2 on my stay, was directed to Nest1 for barbecue dinner. If that happens, do ask for a minivan charter(free) as it's quite a distance to walk in the dark. I was not told of the possiblity so i walked half my way and back, because i thought i was lost. There were many barking dogs. Finally, the staff called and a minivan came. Dinner was great. after dinner, the van fetched all Nest2 guests back.

If you are planning to go bamboo rafting, do wear slippers or sandals as water do get on the feet even when the rafting is gentle. I highly recommend walking up to a monastry in the mountains in the morning, there is not touristy. Very peaceful. Although the Chiang Dao cave is the highlight of the area, I prefer the monastry, both can be reached by foot. You can get a concise map of the area from the reception.

For me, one night is good. All well worth.

Mia

#5 Posted: 31/1/2007 - 01:23

• meyers66

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2006

Thank you Mia. I will print out your advice and use it. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 31/1/2007 - 06:18

• meyers66

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2006

Hi Mia, We like quiet places as well. Nature, Buddhism, and culture are the reasons I'm going to this area. Are there any other places you would recommend as a must see? We will be in the North for 26 days. I'm considering visiting Nan province to the East.

#7 Posted: 31/1/2007 - 06:23

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Meyers66,

I envy your 26 days in the north. Have a great time.

Since you've got the time, I'd recommend a loop from Chiang Mai through Pai to Mae Hong Son. Both of those destinations are very popular for good reasons. The great thing about Mae Hong Son is the architecture - the place feels more like Burma than it does Thailand. You can take the bus in one direction and fly the other way.

When you are in Chiang Mai, if you haven't yet, be sure to visit Wat Umong. It's a forest temple up towards Chiang Mai University, and a must visit for people interested in Buddhism.. Cheers.

#8 Posted: 1/2/2007 - 09:36

• globalgypsy

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2006

There are many different places to stay and eat in Chiang Dao these days, so you might also want to check out the following websites:
    http://www.chiangdao.org and http://www.chiangdao.info which are both Non-Profit sites
    Aside from Chiang Dao Nests, there is also a Thai-German Restaurant, a Greek Restaurant and an Italian Restaurant, which all serve great food. There is also a Cafe near the busstop, which serves food, fresh Coffee and many other things. Chiang Dao has also about a dozen quality accommodations ranging from 190 Baht per night to over 1000 Baht per night.
    It's a really good town to hang out in and to do some nature walks, bird watching, trekking, elephant riding, etc.
    Not a party town. More for people who love nature or are looking for a place to chill for a few days.
    Cheers

#9 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 11:37

• meyers66

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2006

Hi,
    I agree with you Globalgypsy about Chiang dao. I wish I had your info before I went.
    We stayed at Chiang dao Nest 2 for one night. We found it pretensious. Nest 1 restaurant was over priced. 345B for fish. Crazy. Obscene prices considering the level of poverty 1 km away. Malee's Nature Resort had a much better vibe and Malee is great. Highly recommend this place.
    FYI the Nature Trail is steep so heads up. Lots of sliding down the mountain.

#10 Posted: 10/2/2007 - 08:32

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hello,

When we went to chang dao it was by moto bike from Chaing Mai for a day trip. I wouldn't advise this tho as its a long drive on the dodgy little 'ped' we hired! :)

Visit the chang dao caves when your there tho. They are very intresting to explore.

#11 Posted: 21/2/2007 - 02:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice Needed: Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Maesai (Tachileik)-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Huey Xai ... By Dyno on 12 May 2012 4 2746 15 May 2012
Traveling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and Houei Xai (Laos) ... By Russian on 1 Jun 2010 0 4278 1 Jun 2010
Hanoi --> Vientane --> Luang Prabang --> Chiang Rai --> Chiang Mai ... By sophierose87 on 11 Jun 2010 2 4640 18 Jun 2010
Chiang Maan Residence, old city, Chiang Mai Province ... By nalinee78 on 30 Oct 2006 2 3727 3 Mar 2007
Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong/Huai Xai quickly/overnight ... By amarradia on 10 Jul 2009 1 2553 11 Jul 2009
Short-term villa rental in Chiang Mai / Chiang Dao ... By placeshifter on 14 Aug 2010 2 2980 15 Aug 2010
Travel Chiang Rai/Chiang Khong/Laos ... By GussieG on 9 Sep 2006 7 4055 18 Sep 2006
Chiang Mai>Chiang Rai>Luang Prabang>Vientiene ... By mukapecah8 on 2 Sep 2009 9 9290 4 Sep 2009
From Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and later to Houei Xai (Laos) ... By Russian on 1 Jun 2010 4 6548 10 Aug 2011
Chiang Rai to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong and on to Pakbeng. ... By DShearer86 on 23 Apr 2009 4 9467 18 Jun 2009
Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong to Laos ... By andrea73 on 1 Jun 2008 1 4843 2 Jun 2008