Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train from surat thani to ratchaburi (ban pong)

• thaitrip11

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2011

Hi, I'm travelling through thailand in August and planned to go Bangkok - Koh Phangan - Kanchanaburi. I read that you can get a train/bus combo from surat thani to kanchanaburi (via ban pong) but what I wanted to find out was is it the same train to bangkok, and if so should I buy a return to bangkok or 2 separate single tickets? It seems to be hard to find information online as a lot of websites leave out less major stations and just say when they get to bangkok etc. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

#1 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 18:19

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, it would be the same train to Bangkok.

I wouldn't bother buying a return ticket unless you're completely dedicated to certain travel dates, but you may want to get one in advance just so you have your sleeping berth reserved before you leave KPG. Also, if you are going to be traveling during a holiday or weekend, it may be a very good idea to get your ticket in advance.

As for the combo ticket, it may be convenient, but it's very easy to get there on your own. You could get off the train in Nakhon Pathom then catch the train to Kanchanaburi, or go by bus if you have to wait a long time for the train. I think the train to K'buri stops at / departs from Nakhon Pathom at around 9:00 am. So if you get your timing right, it could be seamless.

If you tell the ticket seller that you want to go to K'buri from Surat via Nakhon Pathom, they'll get the right train for you and sell you a ticket that will take you straight through, though you won't have any trouble getting onto the train in Nakhon Pathom if you show up without a ticket.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 21:41

• thaitrip11

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2011

Excellent thanks very much for your help!

#3 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 22:07

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

One more thing. When you go to Hualomphong Station in Bangkok, there is a little booth near the doors on the side of the station that serves as an info stand. There are usually eager, young, English-speaking Thais hollering "Where are you going?" and stuff like that. Most people just walk past them, thinking they are trying to sell something, but they are actually very helpful and have printed versions of timetables for all of the lines ... North, South, East, Northeast. Go and tell them what you want to do. They'll give you a printed timetable and will circle the train(s) you need to catch. You can take this to the ticket booth and then keep it for future reference.

#4 Posted: 11/6/2011 - 22:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 4 Dec 2012 4 2311 7 Dec 2012
Train from Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By supernickymoreton on 20 Jan 2009 7 16570 28 Dec 2009
Overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 5 Jan 2013 7 7670 7 Jan 2013
best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane ... By matimulinaris on 22 Aug 2009 2 9704 23 Aug 2009
Surat Thani (SW Thailand) - Singapore by train ... By tinamars2000 on 21 Feb 2008 2 5466 11 Jun 2008
train form Bangkok to Surat Thani ( Kr- how to book? ... By knot01 on 31 Jan 2009 10 13401 10 Feb 2009
Night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani then ferry to Ko Phangan and on to Koh Tao ... By mejulie on 8 Dec 2012 1 2152 10 Dec 2012
Koh samui via Surat thani train station - WARNING FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS! ... By johnno on 7 Jan 2010 2 13705 18 Mar 2013
Anyone in Surat Thani ? ... By ianintheworld on 25 Feb 2014 4 563 2 Mar 2014
Koh Tao or Surat Thani? ... By BTone on 6 Apr 2011 6 4190 3 May 2011