Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

When to book hostels in Thailand?

• Fixman

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2011

I will be doing a three-week long trip to Thailand. I will spend the first few days in Bangkok with some friends, and the rest by myself in the rest of the country.

While the first part of the trip will be pretty "predictive", I don't want to tie me to an itinerary, and many people recommended buying hostel rooms each time I arrive to a city, or some time less.

My question was, is it possible to do this in Thai cities other than Bangkok, or most good/cheap Hostels will probably be already booked by that time? I am going during the beginning of August, if that changes anything.

#1 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 05:42

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey fix,

unless there is a specific place you want to stay, it usually isn't necessary to book your room ahead of time. there are a few times of the year where booking ahead is a good idea, like around new year's or certain Thai holidays, but that doesn't apply to your schedule so you should be okay.

i typically don't book ahead except for maybe the first night or two arriving in a big city (like Bangkok) and, like i said above, if there is a specific place i really want to stay. otherwise, just have an idea of two or three places that sound decent (hopefully not too far apart) and give them a look when you arrive. the smaller the city, the easier it usually is to find something decent within your price range. you'll also find that quite a few places - and particularly the less expensive ones - don't take reservations anyway.

finally, i think i have only stayed in a hostel one time in Thailand. hostels and hostel-style dorm rooms are available, but you can usually find a good room with private bath and maybe even aircon and cable TV in Thailand for less than a dorm bed elsewhere. cheers.

#2 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 05:52

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

if you could name a few island you want to visit, I can possible recommend a few cheap and cheerful places ;-) oh and you budget!

#3 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 17:03

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Fixman, no need to pre-book rooms. Every place in Thailand which draws tourists has tons of cheap and mid-range rooms, guesthouses, bungalows, etc many of which don't appear on any website and can't be pre-booked anyway. I'd only be pre-booking if it was my honeymoon or other short-term package where a higher standard of comfort is required. Budget backpackers meanwhile can just wing it, leave your agenda more flexible (half the fun!)

#4 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 16:36

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

during August will not be much high season..... you can probably find the place to stay easily

#5 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 17:45

• RACHYPF

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

agree no need to book ahead just turn up we did this loads in high season and only struggled once when we landed at phuket town at 10pm! plus might get a better deal if you shop around

#6 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 05:24

• RACHYPF

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

agree no need to book ahead just turn up we did this loads in high season and only struggled once when we landed at phuket town at 10pm! plus might get a better deal if you shop around

#7 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 05:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
when to book hostels/bungalows ... By jasonkim8486 on 16 Sep 2009 2 1239 16 Sep 2009
Pre book hostels Jan/Feb 2012? ... By nicafish on 18 Oct 2011 11 1951 2 Dec 2011