Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Parents visiting - Bangkok and Koh Chang?

• sarah7196

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi All,

My partner and I are going travelling in January around Asia and my parents are coming out to visit us in April for 2 weeks. They’re flying into Bangkok and I was thinking of this itinerary…..

Bangkok for a few nights (2-3 nights)
    Ayutthaya to see some of the ruin (as its close to Bangkok and we would have already gone north so didn’t really want to back track to much) (1 night)
    Koh Chang (rest of the time)

I was wondering if koh Chang would be a good place to go but is 7-9 night too much? Is there anywhere between Bangkok and Koh Chang that should be visited? I want to give them a brilliant experience, I want them to go home and wish they hadn’t….

Cheers all and happy travels xx

#1 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 18:05

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That sounds like a good itinerary to me. Not too much time on the road, lots to see and do, and plenty of chill time. It's going to be pretty hot when your folks are there so, so probably "less is more" is a good idea.

That may be a fairly long time on Koh Chang, though. You could always go to Kanchanaburi for a couple of days of relaxing by the river, nature (Erawan National Park), and history. You could take the train there or back (or both) rather than the bus. It's a much nicer way to go and the train station in Kanchanaburi is walking distance to most of the floating guest houses.

Or you could take them to do a riverside homestay in Amphawa for a couple of nights, where there is a pretty good floating market and lots of other things to do on and off of the river. It's a very nice, interesting little town, but can turn into a madhouse during Thai holidays. If you take them there or back to Bangkok (or both ways) by train, it will be a real adventure!

Another option is Chanthaburi. It's a place that doesn't get much chatter on this site, but it's a really nice town that gets few visitors, and Koh Chang is only 1 1/2 hours away.

Trat is also a nice place to hang out for a couple of days.

Enjoy, whatever you do.

#2 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 18:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi sarah,

awesome that your parents will be out to visit you for two weeks in april. i agree with Tilapia that 7 to 9 days on koh chang wouldn't be too much. i'm guessing your parents are likely my age or similar (late 40's), and i'd be happy enough just bumming around the place and enjoying beach, beer, and food for that amount of time.

if you think they'd get restless, however, a day in trat (again as Tilapia mentioned) either before or after koh chang (or both) would be fun. the town has good day and night markets, a good variety of restaurants and bars, and lots of relatively inexpensive places to stay. it is a good town to just wander around and experience thailand, since most tourists just shoot through on their way to the islands. there are even a few cheap spas, an english-language book store, and excellent laundry services there.

kanchanaburi would be my other suggestion too, if the time on the island sounds like too much. you could either tie it in with the ayutthaya trip before the island, or save it until the end, which i would do to add max flexibility to your itinerary and also because it puts you closer to bangers for the return flight home. i also agree that taking the train to/from kanchanaburi is a special treat, not only because of the convenience and scenery but also because of the history of travelling over about 50 or so km of death railway track along that route.

finally, april is not only super hot (meaning booking that room with aircon is worth the extra quid), but also super busy around the middle of the month because of the Songkran/Thai New Year celebrations. transportation will be booked solid, so you'll definitely want to book ahead and make sure you've got your transport and accommodation sorted ahead of time, particularly from about the 12th or 13th through the 16th or 17th. hope that helps. regards.

#3 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 08:50

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Yeah April is hot as....you know. But I think 5 days at the end on the beach is enough. Squeeze in something else. I say over night it to CM for a couple of days just for the rents. They will like Doi Suthep. How about flying to Trat from there and going to KC. Remember, you know your mom and dad so think. Will the war stuff in Kbri interest dad? Do they do Spain enough to get beach time? Hua Hin would work for beach and it is more laid back vs the islands.

#4 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 11:27

• sarah7196

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

Thanks ever so much for all of your response’s, all brilliant info! I told them about the floating markets and I wish I could post have posted a picture of their faces! They looked absolutely amazed – if that impresses them it’s going to be an exciting couple of weeks hahahaha.

I’m going to look into some more detail about the places suggested and fantastic advice on the ‘new year’ in April, I didn’t even realise!

Thanks again people and happy travelling :)

#5 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 18:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.