Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

My Trip To Thailand

• Red

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2006

Sawadee-ka, Sorry if it's not spelt correctly.
    Well we returned home on Wednesday this week after spending 3 fantastic weeks in Thailand, and i only wish that we where still there.The people are great, the food just delicious and the country in beautiful. I can't really go into detail just yet as I'm still trying to unpack and get into the humdrum of life at home. But I promise I will give you a more detailed report as soon as possible.
    We landed in BKK and stayed a few days, then took a trip to the River Kwai on a day tour followed by rafting and elephant ride(didn't really like the elephant ride, as they must be soooo sick of just walking the same old way day in and day out) anyway, after this week then took the overnight train up to Chiang Mai, then after a few days there we went up to Chain Rai and Laos then back to Chaing Mai. We spent New Years Eve in CM(but that's another story for another day.) Then back to Ayutthayer then back to BKK and flew down to Koh Samui for 5 days. We had such a great time.
    Fill you in soon.

#1 Posted: 23/1/2007 - 11:58

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Red,

Glad to hear you had a great trip -- look forward to reading a Trip Report!

#2 Posted: 25/1/2007 - 06:49

• cellabella

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2007

Hi Red - your itinerary sounds very similar to the trip I am planning for May. Have you written a trip report yet? I am planning to go to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, travel to Laos Luang Prabang, the back to BKK for a final bit of R and R on Koh Tao. Any tips/ insights?
    Thanks
    Cella

#3 Posted: 26/2/2007 - 00:05

• Red

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2006

Hi Cella,
    No sorry I haven't had time to do a trip report since we got back.But I will try to do it in the next couple of weeks, it's just I'm really busy with work etc.
    But if you'd like to ask me any question feel free.
    No tips other than have a fantastic time and eat lots of great Thai food and just enjoy yourself.
    I would however recommend that you don't go by train to CM as it is very very slow and the smell of the Diesel fumes just stinks through the whole trip. Fly or go by bus if you can.We did stay at a backpackers place in Chaing Mai called" Julie's Guesthouse" which we found cheap and clean.I will try to find the address, but you can just look on the net and you'll find it ok.
    Motorbikes where also cheap to rent in CM and it got you out and about from the city to see the country side and less traffic etc. Anyway have fun.
    Regards
    Red

#4 Posted: 26/2/2007 - 10:02

• cellabella

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2007

Thanks Red, i'll keep an eye out for your report and look up the guesthouse meanwhile. Thanks especially for the train tip - will go by plane in that case!

#5 Posted: 26/2/2007 - 22:37

• tumi8

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2006

about trains:
    there are diesel trains which have a diesel engine under each wagon and there is the train with the diesel locomotive- that is a huge difference. going up to Chiang Mai, we have had 2 seaters in a diesel train which was a nightmare. the engine was right under you and the seats were not exactly comfortable, it was loud, and the whole body was shaking from the engine.
    on our way back to Bangkok, we had booked a train with diesel locomotive. also 2 lower berch beds in a fan wagon 2nd class. also we left CHiang Mai in the afternoon at around 4pm, which enabled us to see the landscape for a few interesting hours, also you can pull down the windows, which you cant in the aircon wagon.
    upper berch beds are slightly narrower and the light shines straight into your face.

#6 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 15:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.