Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok tours worth it?

• TigerLili

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2011

Greetings to you weary travellers,

So me and the bf are planning our SE Asian trip beginning mid-July. We're going to fly from the UK to my hometown in Jakarta, Indonesia and then from Jakarta to Vietnam, where we would be joining a tour. After Vietnam we will be flying in to Bangkok, and here is where we haven't really planned things out yet. We'll be staying in Bangkok for 5 days, and planning to stay in a hostel in the Silom district - would this be a good choice? We're trying to avoid staying in touristy and overcrowded areas, so trying to avoid Khao San if possible.

Next problem is figuring out what to do in Bangkok. We're looking into joining tours, but are they really worth it? Or would it be better to go wandering around by ourselves?
    Bf is a chef, so he's more interested in culinary adventures, or finding very authentic, original places or do something more sporty. I'm more happy go lucky, don't have any special preferences but I am Asian so it would be nice to experience something that is unique to Thailand which I can't find anywhere else in Asia. No bicycle tours though lol!

This post is getting a bit long, but my last question is how could I get my iPhone's internet to work in Thailand? In Indonesia you could get a weekly internet package depending on the provider, but I would really love to get internet for my phone for the 10 days we'll be staying in Thailand (5 days in Bangkok, 5 days in Phuket).

So thanks for bearing the almost painfully long post, and any suggestions would be duly appreciated and toasted for :D Cheers!

#1 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 20:56

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

I think Silom is ok. As for your bf, I just found out about Or Tor Kor market and I wish I had gone there.

http://www.austinbushphotography.com/2008/06/or-tor-kor-market.html

About iphone, you should be able to get a prepaid SIM with internet access.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 21:29

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Silom is cool but that area at night is packed because of night markets and the red light district Patpong and the gay and ladyboy areas. All in the Silom area not far from the Sala Daeng train station. There are a lot of shops there also. BUT...if you are near the sky train that is good for access as it goes all the way to the Chao Phrya river and connects to the subway. Being Asian from a western country of course many will think you are rich so get ready to bargain so try to let go of any English accent! The streets of Bangkok are very Asian no matter how much western things are around. They have their own way of doing it. I lived in Japan also and when I arrived in Thailand I really felt I was in some exotic land as compared to my east coast USA life. When you see people at Erawan shrine saying their prayers, or the monks on their morning stroll for food from the locals you will feel far away from home. Go to the bookstore and look at the pictures of Bangkok and see what you wan to do. The Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, a river boat ferry, the canals in Thonburi, Lumpini Park, a cooking class somewhere, people watching and shopping all around the Siam area...you will be busy. But you will be just returning from Vietnam and Bangkok is a little more modern in many areas compared to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. But overall Thai people come off as a liitle more open and friendly.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 14:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.