Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

first time gay visitor

• adventure87

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2011

Arriving early July, and I've never been to Bangkok before. Where do you suggest I stay? I'm thinking Silom v KSR, and just not sure. I'm planning on staying for 2-4 nights. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 08:56

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

The Silom area may be closer to the area you want for socializing as I have seen the boys out and about near there at night whilst visiting a DJ several times in that area. But if you are a first timer and want to see KSR for shits and giggles it would be fine and a cool experience. Thai people are pretty open to gay folks though some of my fellow backpackers in the KSR area can be brutish louts. Therein lies the problem. That said if you are particular to gay hospitality then Silom and the surrounds may be better.

http://www.1stopbangkok.com/hospitality/gays/

#2 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 10:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well hombre, you didn't say much about yourself or your interests except that you are gay. Based on that, Silom soi 4 or Soi 6 area would probably be of interest to you, although it is pretty much over the top - like a gay version of Nana or Patpong.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 11:53

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Hell Mac...with lady boys and boy ladies..patpong and nana..if you don't like over the top..BKK is def not your place haha! Then the monkeys that pass for straight tatoo covered brutes who chase lady boys and tell me that they are straight cuz a lady boy isn't really a man...nothing shocks me in Bangkok anymore. Makes me wanna wear a full bodied condom from head to toe just passing through! haha!

#4 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 13:22

• adventure87

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2011

I'm 24 and live in San Francisco. I'm backpacking through SEAsia for 7 weeks, and looking to meet young backpacker-y gays. Not really the Babylon type, but definitely not the KSR party all the time type either.

#5 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 15:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The problem with KSR and other areas that cater to tourists but not specifically gays is there is a reasonable possibility you will run into hostility from some tourist who thinks he's a tough guy. Of course, if you don't wear your sexuality on your arms, and you aren't going with having sex in mind, then where you go doesn't matter much reference that. But since you did bring it up...

As for the Thai's they are unlikely to hassle you at all about this subject. They have their prejudices, but displaying them openly to you would be considered rude.

#6 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 16:17

• JoeDawn

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2013

Times are so tough now a days it is scary enough being gay, but being gay in a foreign country without having the peace of mind to be there. I am an openly gay travel medical agent and I would not travel without travel medical insurance or trip insurance.

#7 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 02:36

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'The problem with KSR and other areas that cater to tourists but not specifically gays is there is a reasonable possibility you will run into hostility from some tourist who thinks he's a tough guy.'

No chance.
    KSR is on the periphery of a big gay scene and many of the Thai people who come there are gay katoey.

I'll let you all into a little secret. Stay in KSR area for the backpacker vibes but if you cross the main road Thannon Ratchdamnoen, a massive eight lanes,behind the highway-more or less opposite KSR you will arrive at one of the many big gay scenes in Bangkok. Lots of interesting gay bars and clubs.It's a much better scene than KSR for gays or straights.

#8 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 03:34

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

J Dawn seems to promote his own bisnis.
    Sayad: no, there is just 1 such bar left over there (sake), all the others have closed the last years. Not that the tipical KSR bekpekker would feel very welcome there without a clue of whats going on.
    The BIG BKK gay scene for young people is since years at the Lamsalee end of Ramkamhaeng, the bars opposite oToKO/close by weekendmarket and recently-seem to have replaces the Ratchdamnern venues, along Royal City.

#9 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 05:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

What is a Babylon type? Some gay code talk. I've never seen a gay bar in Bangkok but I've never gone looking. Apparently Silom has gay areas but even the straight areas of Silom are pretty sleazy. AIDS is still a big problem in Thailand. KSR is full of backpackers who look lost and wannabe hippies with dreadlocks. Sukhumvit has a mix of families and straight bars for horny guys. Pratunam has little nightlife and is mainly for shopping and food.

There seems to be a lot of 'straight' guys above who know a lot about gay bars :-)

#10 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 09:02

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'There seems to be a lot of 'straight' guys above who know a lot about gay bars'

I was wondering when that one would come.How do you know our preferences Leonard?
    As the U.S. army says. Don't ask. Don't tell. ;-)

Anyway, obviously I'm behind the times according to Cpt.Bkk

#11 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 10:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First Time Visitor Flying in on the 3rd of December ... By tulles22 on 28 Nov 2007 2 1200 28 Nov 2007
First Time Visitor - advice needed ... By Sweetdee on 31 Aug 2011 4 1626 7 Sep 2011
Three weeks in July. Help a first time visitor? ... By shua73 on 30 May 2014 3 534 2 Jun 2014
SE Asia - 8 Week Itinerary (First Time Visitor) ... By travelingalpaca on 3 Apr 2013 1 1512 3 Apr 2013