Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Stay in which area of Bangkok?

• palle22

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2011

Hi

My girlfriend and I are getting of the plane in Bangkok on august 2nd. We are staying in and around Bangkok for a week or so, to get our VISAs for Vietnam and Laos. After that week, we'll be travelling the coast south of Bangkok. Is there a specific area in Bangkok that could be recommended? We would like it to be ok calm and near the train. We are not shopping until the end of our trip. We are looking for a 3 star(ish) hotel at around 500THB/night

I hope you can help :-)

#1 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 00:37

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

500 baht won't get you more than a basic fan and clean sheet guesthouse room, probably in the cost-cutter district of Khao San or Soi Rambutri. Check the options on our own beloved Travelfish

#2 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 02:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with Bob that the days of a 3-star place for 500 baht are long gone, but you can likely still find something in your budget in the greater Khao San/Rambutri area. That's a good choice for first-time visitors to Bangkok as well, since it puts you near most of the main sites and not far from the river. It is also easy to get away to places like Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya from there for quick trips while your visas are being processed. There are plenty of listings in the accommodation section and lots of message board threads with ideas and info to help you choose.

If you have been to BKK already and are up for something different, one option is KT Guesthouse in the Din Daeng/Huai Kwang part of town is off the beaten path and offers good rooms in the just under 700 baht/night range. They have a pool and a good restaurant downstairs.

By the way, visa on arrival is pretty common now for Laos. Is there a particularly reason you want to sort that before you go to Laos? Cheers.

#3 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 03:29

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Likewise, if you are only staying in Vietnam for 30 days or less, you can sort out your visa requirements online ahead of time. No need to go to embassy or whatever.

#4 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 06:26

• palle22

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2011

Thank you both!

We re willing to pay a bit more if needed. The most important is, that the area we stay in is not in some remote industrial area :-) We'll take a look at the Khao San/Rambutri area.

As for the visas: We are travelling to Laos over land from Cambodia. Visa on arrival is not available here, is it? And for Vietnam: I am not sure if the online Visa thing can be trusted?

#5 Posted: 26/6/2011 - 21:41

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

In terms of organising the Vietnamese pre-approval letter online, yes it is safe. I used http://www.myvietnamvisa.com without any problem, and if you dig around on TF, you will see that others have as well, without problem. Something that I only just became aware of though, is the pre-approval letter can only be used when arriving at the airport.

There is one crossing into Laos from Cambodia that has visa on arrival. More info here: http://www.travelfish.org/visas/laos and for Cambodia here: http://www.travelfish.org/visas/vietnam

#6 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 04:00

• palle22

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2011

Thanks. I'll look in to the VISA. We are flying in to Hanoi, so the pre-approvalletter could be our best solution :-)

I have booked this hotel for 3 nights: http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/sawasdee-banglumpoo-inn.html?selected_currency=hotel_currency&sid=2e013a17c188e73544d34f200da016fd&dva=0&lang=en-gb

Total price for 2 persons including breakfast is THB 1848,-
    I hope it's ok :-)

#7 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 12:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

That's only 600 baht a night, so that sounds fine.

#8 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 00:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.