Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Sept/Oct

• Joannacxxx

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010

Hi,
    just need some advice really. I'll be arriving in BKK around 27th September, and flying out of BKK around 25th October. This is my first time in Asia, I will be a female travelling alone. Can anyone give me a rough itinerary of places i could go. I want to go to Chiang Mai, and also do a bit of island hopping. I would like to get everywhere by public transport, rather than internal flights if this is possible. And also how long would you recommend I stay in BKK?
    Obviously I will be doing my own research, but would be good to hear from people who have actually been and done it themselves. Thanks so much. Jo

#1 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 06:15

• Advertisement

• Joannacxxx

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010

Oh and as it will be October, I'm wondering which isads will be best, as I know it may be the monsoon season.
    cheers

#2 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 06:16

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Very unpredictable weather late-Sep/Oct and it's really a coin toss which side the beaches will be sunny vs. wet. Best to just get here then check out what the weather's been up to lately. Same in Chiang Mai where I live. October some years it's dried out by then other years it's pissed down rain in Oct. OK so that's the weather business out of the way =)

As for transport, you can get pretty much everywhere by public bus (long distance) or shared pickup taxis (short distance). One warning: do not get tourist buses, which are those being sold at travel agents in the big tourist haunts like Khao San Road in Bangkok. Reports of theft are common on these tourist-only buses (they don't allow Thais) even valuables stolen from handbags kept in someone's lap all night. A little monkey might be crawling on the floor or in the luggage compartment. This is especially prevalent on the southern routes between Bangkok - Surat Thani - Krabi - Phuket. OK don't freak out though. The easy solution is to take only government licensed buses from the actual bus station. Go and buy your own ticket the day of travel and hop on.

Trains are a safe and fun way to get around. Just note they don't go to every corner of the country. Everything you need to know about trains in Thailand is here: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

#3 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 16:16

• Joannacxxx

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010

thanks Bob

#4 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 19:17

• mattbt

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi,

I went to Thailand for the first time last year from sept 18th till Oct 17th so similar time really, I was also a sol traveller. I never really had anything set in stone on a route but i had an idea of what i wanted to do. I styaed in bangkok 1 night at first then got the train down south so i could go to Koh Phangan for 4 days. After this i headed to Koh Tao for 3 nights, i never really did the diving apart from a day one so didn't stay all that long. After Koh Tao i headed for Koh Samui for another 3 Nights, then over to Krabi for a night. Before heading over to Phi Phi. Now i ended up staying a week on Phi Phi as i loved it that much, wasn't really my plan to stay anywhere this long as i wanted to see as much as i could but i got sucked in. After Phi Phi i headed over to Phucket but for some reason i already had an idea i wouldn't like the place so only stayed 1 night and booked a flight from Phucket to Chiang Mai . Stayed in Chiang Mai for 4 nights then back to Bangkok for my last 3 day/ 2 nights. That was my route and i thought for my first trip i done ok.

Now the weather situation when i was there was mixed really, Bangkok was hot, rained a bit but soon dried up. On Koh Phangan it was roasting during the day and not one bit of rain. It usually chucked it down during the night for a couple of hours then was clear blue skies the next day. Koh Tao was hot but a bit cloudy and rained a bit more often here during the day. Koh Samui was again sunny and hot with the odd showers but mailnly at night. Over on the west on Phi Phi it was hot and sunny but again rained on and off but was still beach weather. One day on Phi Phi it day rain all day and night and was a complete wash out though.

I got about using trains, buses and the one internal flight. Found the train to be the most enjoyable as you could walk about and have a few beers then your seat turned into a bed so could get some sleep.

Hope you enjoy your trip, 6 months to go for me and i'm on my way again :-)

#5 Posted: 6/7/2011 - 19:04

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand

#6 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 14:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.