Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Dilemma

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Hi all!

I will be traveling from Malaysia into Thailand by train in August and would like to spend more than the allotted 15 days in Thailand (visa for overland is stated 15 day allowance). I understand I can obtain an official Thai travel visa in Penang, Malaysia but it requires proof of a departure (flight) out of Thailand. I do not have a flight out of Thailand as I will be continuing onward on a bus to Laos.
    Does anyone have experience applying for this kind of visa and is it possible to get without having a departing flight? How strictly is that enforced?
    Any additional thoughts or recommendations?

Many thanks!

#1 Posted: 4/7/2011 - 09:30

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The Thai consulate in Penang's visa policies have fluctuated over the years. Sometimes they require proof of air travel out of Thailand and sometimes they don't. I've obtained visas there under both conditions, but not very recently so can't say for sure now. Of course you can also get visas at the Embassy in KL or there's another consulate in Kota Bharu and each place can enforce policies at their discretion. Hate to send you on a wild goose chase but you can at least give it a shot. Otherwise if you fly into Thailand you can get 30 days visa exempt (15 by land). Other options could apply depending on how long you actually want to be in Thailand. The consulate in Vientiane Laos for example doesn't require proof of air ticket and even does double entry visas. Or else you just do border hops every 15 days which is quite a pain in the backside. At least good to know your options.

#2 Posted: 4/7/2011 - 12:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand Visa Dilemma ... By swebb92101 on 3 Mar 2012 13 2895 22 Jul 2012