Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

where do i meet chill backpackers in bangkok?

• caseybln

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2011

hey there, i'll be in bangkok next saturday - first time for me in thailand. i'm traveling alone and i'm a bit afraid that i'm only gonna run into drunk party kids who are just in thailand to get f*cked up on cheap alkohol and drugs. might be a stupid question but is there any spot where i can meet the more "grown-up" backpacker?

thanks! casey

#1 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 20:18

• Advertisement

• Dadi

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2011

I will be there on 21st July if you want to meet up, but I have the same problem as you because I don't want to hang out with crazy party kids but I still don't want to be completely alone my whole trip.

#2 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 22:15

• caseybln

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2011

by the time you're arriving in bangkok i'm gonna be leaving the city.. i don't know where i'm gonna go though. what is your plan?

#3 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 00:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My advise would be, forget about backpackers. Go someplace, anyplace, where foreigners aren't hanging out and meet indigenous people. Thai people are fun loving, easy to get to know...

#4 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 01:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

price, more than most other factors, is a good way to zero in on the target crowd you are seeking. when picking a place to stay, look for something that is a bit more expensive. the reviews for the crowd you are seeking often include the word "flashpacker", which describes a slightly (or sometimes even much) older group that has a bit more money and style, but still likes the adventure and value of independent-style travel. same when you pick a place to eat or hang out. don't go to the places emphasizing low price, but pick spots that offer something extra like live music or a theme you like or whatever. even in the heart of khao san road, you'll find the flashpacker-friendly places where the more "grown-up" backpackers hang out.

sorry if that doesn't offer you a specific recommendation, but then again discovering these places on your own is half the fun. cheers.

#5 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 02:08

• Dadi

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2011

I will stay in Bangkok for 2-3 days before i head to Chiang Mai where I will stay for a few days and then i will go over to Laos. What are your plans?

#6 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 03:22

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Maybe SUK 11 on Sukhumvit? Very central and within easy walking distance of both the skytrain and the underground.

Used to be a brilliant place to stay but it's gone downhill dramatically in the last few years ...ever since Anil's mother took over and started running the place with an iron fist. Now there are a rules and regulations galore and the laid back management and very friendly atmosphere that once made the place such a real gem has long gone. *sigh*

As you've never stayed there before you won't feel the deep nostalgia for the good old days that I do though.

The guests who stay there are certainly pretty well behaved compared to the KSR lot. The clientele is more of a mix...you get young backpackers staying there but also families and older travelers. There's still a large common area downstairs where you'll meet people, especially at breakfast time (A buffet breakfast is included in the price of the room 7am-10am)

#7 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 04:57

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Ya, I liked Suk 11 back in the day too...

#8 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 07:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place to meet other backpackers ... By backpacker on 14 Jun 2011 8 5935 15 Jun 2011
Looking for chill out friend in bangkok ... By aadibkk on 16 Apr 2013 0 1236 16 Apr 2013
Best beach between Phuket and Bangkok for chill ... By fontbleu on 14 Sep 2012 4 2404 18 Nov 2012