Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

where do i meet chill backpackers in bangkok?

Posted by caseybln on 9/7/2011 at 20:18

hey there, i'll be in bangkok next saturday - first time for me in thailand. i'm traveling alone and i'm a bit afraid that i'm only gonna run into drunk party kids who are just in thailand to get f*cked up on cheap alkohol and drugs. might be a stupid question but is there any spot where i can meet the more "grown-up" backpacker?

thanks! casey

#1 caseybln has been a member since 3/7/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by Dadi on 9/7/2011 at 22:15

I will be there on 21st July if you want to meet up, but I have the same problem as you because I don't want to hang out with crazy party kids but I still don't want to be completely alone my whole trip.

#2 Dadi has been a member since 1/5/2011. Posts: 15

Posted by caseybln on 10/7/2011 at 00:17

by the time you're arriving in bangkok i'm gonna be leaving the city.. i don't know where i'm gonna go though. what is your plan?

#3 caseybln has been a member since 3/7/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 10/7/2011 at 01:37

My advise would be, forget about backpackers. Go someplace, anyplace, where foreigners aren't hanging out and meet indigenous people. Thai people are fun loving, easy to get to know...

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 10/7/2011 at 02:08

price, more than most other factors, is a good way to zero in on the target crowd you are seeking. when picking a place to stay, look for something that is a bit more expensive. the reviews for the crowd you are seeking often include the word "flashpacker", which describes a slightly (or sometimes even much) older group that has a bit more money and style, but still likes the adventure and value of independent-style travel. same when you pick a place to eat or hang out. don't go to the places emphasizing low price, but pick spots that offer something extra like live music or a theme you like or whatever. even in the heart of khao san road, you'll find the flashpacker-friendly places where the more "grown-up" backpackers hang out.

sorry if that doesn't offer you a specific recommendation, but then again discovering these places on your own is half the fun. cheers.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Dadi on 10/7/2011 at 03:22

I will stay in Bangkok for 2-3 days before i head to Chiang Mai where I will stay for a few days and then i will go over to Laos. What are your plans?

#6 Dadi has been a member since 1/5/2011. Posts: 15

Posted by SBE on 10/7/2011 at 04:57

Maybe SUK 11 on Sukhumvit? Very central and within easy walking distance of both the skytrain and the underground.

Used to be a brilliant place to stay but it's gone downhill dramatically in the last few years ...ever since Anil's mother took over and started running the place with an iron fist. Now there are a rules and regulations galore and the laid back management and very friendly atmosphere that once made the place such a real gem has long gone. *sigh*

As you've never stayed there before you won't feel the deep nostalgia for the good old days that I do though.

The guests who stay there are certainly pretty well behaved compared to the KSR lot. The clientele is more of a mix...you get young backpackers staying there but also families and older travelers. There's still a large common area downstairs where you'll meet people, especially at breakfast time (A buffet breakfast is included in the price of the room 7am-10am)

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Rasheeed on 10/7/2011 at 07:50

Ya, I liked Suk 11 back in the day too...

#8 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.