Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Seeking info about overland travel from Phuket to Malaysia

• HKDjaw

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2007

I am now in Phuket and plan to carry on my trip to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. I know there is a train from Surrathani to Malaysia. Do you have any details (frequency, time, cost)? Or is there any other overland ways to get there? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 28/1/2007 - 15:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi HKDjaw,

Welcome to Travelfish.

For train timetables, you're best to go to the horses mouth at the State Rail of Thailand website. Note you'll need to head from Phuket east to somewhere like Surat Thani to pick up a train.

From memory though, in Phuket there are also direct buses to both Penang and KL.

#2 Posted: 28/1/2007 - 22:23

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Get yourself to Hat Yai by bus/minibus. Lots of options to Malaysia from there — Penang, Kuala Lumpur, by bus and by train.

#3 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 00:51

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Just another option to throw out there...

Take a trip to PhiPhi, then catch the ferry to Krabi... from there you can organise numerous minibuses to Malaysia... however, my advice would be to get a minibus to no further than Penang and then catch a coach from Penang to KL.

Coaches in Malaysia are pretty awesome... most are fitted with business class style seats and seat 3 across... Just be warned - they usually have the aircon on full blast!

The coach is probably quicker than the train as the main North-South highway in Malaysia is a pretty awesome highway!

Cheers,
    Mark.

#4 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 01:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Seeking Travel Info/Advice on NW/North Vietnam Trip ... By Rango on 12 Aug 2013 0 897 12 Aug 2013
PLEASE! i need up-to-date info on the overland border Cambodia to Laos! ... By bizzungax on 31 Aug 2011 1 2412 31 Aug 2011
PLEASE! i need up-to-date info on the overland border Cambodia to Laos! ... By bizzungax on 31 Aug 2011 5 2409 1 Sep 2011
First Timers Seeking Adventure in Phuket Vicinity! ... By juliadee on 3 Mar 2010 2 1437 5 Mar 2010
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1692 9 Aug 2012