Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Weather in Koh Samet in August

• Cassy

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

Will be in Thailand the first half of August and want to visit an island close to Bangkok for about 5-6 days. Will it be too wet at this time to visit Ko Samet? Also any recomendations for accom???
    Thanks...

#1 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 04:48

• Advertisement

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

You can expect rain, but I wouldn't let that stop you from going. I spent three days there on a stopover at the end of July two years ago. The heavens opened on the ferry and we got completely drenched and regretted our decision but the rest of the time it was pretty much overcast with the odd shower - some heavy, some light.

I remember the sea was really choppy on the west side, but think the east side was swimmable. I even got sunburnt one day!

You might want to choose a nicer hotel incase you are confined to watching TV or sitting on the balcony though.

#2 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 11:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yeah Samet is pretty much limited in terms of activities aside from sea/sun/sand. Those tropical thunderstorms can be pretty entertaining though and nice to sit and watch from a beachside balcony and anyway the rain is warm and refreshing. That said, Samet tends to have a sort of rain shadow where it's relatively dry even while Bangkok is in floods. Better chance of dry weather still is go down to Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao which has it's "sunny" season roughly June-Oct. Can rain a bit on any day though - 'tis the tropics.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 16:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.