Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai virgin.

• Fritzo

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

Hi All,

I am heading to Thailand on 5th of august for 14 days and have never been there before or out of Australia before for that matter, I am 35 male and travelling solo, I want to check out the party, full moon or otherwise in Thailand but dont want to sit around drinking for 14 days either, I like adventure and having fun (Young at heart) but would also like to see the natural beauty of Thailand aswell, so I thought you guys might be able to suggest some must see places while I am there and places I should not bother about?

Is Chiang Mai Temple worth the trip??
    Bridge on the river Kwai worth the trip??
    Any SAFE tattoo studios with good work to check out??

I will be flying into bangkok, I was going to be staying in the business district (if that means anything?) But have asked to stay in the backpackers area (Khao san road??) as I thought this may be a better option to meet people and such??

Any help, ideas, thoughts and comments would be hugely appreciated!!

Cheers

Fritzo

#1 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 15:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Where do you mean when you say "Business district"? Actual place name would help there.

As for Khao San Road, you'll meet plenty of backpackers of every stripe there. It's well documented here.

I've heard a lot of good things, and almost no bad things, about both Chiang Mai and Kanchanaburi, but based on what you wrote, Chiang Mai sounds like your best bet. Good mix of party scene and sites.

#2 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 16:24

• Fritzo

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

Hi MadMac,

I am not sure of what business district they said, My works factory is in Samutsakorn and he said somewhere between there and Bangkok.

Any places you would suggest?

#3 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 17:58

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Samut Sakhon (Samutsakorn) is a province to the west of Bangkok. There's not much between there and Bangkok. I like Samut Sakhon (the town of Mahachai), but it's not the kind of place a first-time visitor to Thailand might want to spend much time in, let alone try and meet people. It's worth a visit, though, just for the train ride there and the seafood that awaits at the end of the line. Excellent!

I think that Kanchanaburi is worth visiting, but not just for the bridge. It's a great town in a beautiful location with lots to do, and some great places to stay in. If you're into history, there is a very good POW museum, POW cemetaries, and the bridge. Erawan is a beautiful place. Sangkhlaburi, a few hours beyond K-buri and close to the Burmese border is also a lovely spot.

The area around KSR is loaded with guest houses, inns, hotels, bars, clubs, and tattoo joints, and is within walking distance to most of Bangkok's main attractions (other than big shopping districts). Like MadMac said, you'll have no trouble having a good time and meeting people there.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 21:02

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I want to check out the party, full moon or otherwise in Thailand but dont want to sit around drinking for 14 days either, I like adventure and having fun (Young at heart) but would also like to see the natural beauty of Thailand aswell

Pai sounds like more your cup of tea than CM (the natural beauty bit, CM is a big and quite polluted city whereas Pai isn't). You might spend a fair amount of time drinking and partying in Pai too....I bet they do Full Moon Parties and have tattoo parlours there as well. Tubing on the river rather than tramping round city streets for exercise. A poster called Cranky Carrot just did both CM and Pai and I think he much preferred the latter. :-)

#5 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 21:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Kanchanaburi is definitely a great choice both for the natural beauty of the place and for the history of the bridge and allied cemeteries and such. There is a good backpacker/flashpacker/local Thai scene there that I very much enjoyed on my last visit. If you are from Australia, Kanchanaburi's WWII-era history will probably mean something extra special for you.

Excellent suggestions above from the others on places to see and things to do. If you have the time and are interested in Thai history, a stopover in either Ayutthaya or Sukhothai on your way to Bangkok is worth the effort too. Both have heaps to see and do and a good mix of backpacker/local scene fun. Sounds like a great trip. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 22:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

SBE
    I'm not sure based on his post what kind of party scene he's looking for... That wasn't clear. Chaing Mai province has a lot of natural beauty in it though, and the city offers quite a bit. Pai is quite small. I know you have a preference for small, for that matter I detect a preference for nature. I'm not sure that's exactly what he's looking for in this case. Maybe.
    Fritzo
    Recommend you check out both Pai and Chiang Mai here on travelfish. Kanchanaburi as well. There is enough info here for you to figure out which of those places would best suit your desires. Pai is an interesting alternative, but as you will see here, it's a small place.

#7 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 23:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.