Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok restaurant

• MRATM82

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2011

Hi I'm looking for a nice restaurant to book in Bangkok for our anniversary whilst we are there. I've seen quite a few restaurants such as the lebua restaurants and vertigo but unsure whether these are overpriced and more of an experience? I've also read that Bangkok does not use the Michelin star system and the best restaurants are in the top hotels but just wondered what people's thoughts are on a nice restaurant that has nice surroundings, excellent food and isn't too overpriced, looking to spend no more than £100 including wine and service.
    Thanks, Andy.

#1 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 15:47

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

100 pounds? You'll get a nice meal for that, no doubt. I really like the restaraunt at Park Evenue hotel on Soi 22 in Sukhimvite. But it's a four, not five, star place. I don't think I've ever been to a five star place here.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 17:38

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi not sure if this suits but my wife and I always have lunch at the Spanish Tapas Cafe on Sukhumvit Soi 11 when we are in Bangkok, really high quality authentic spanish food and great wine to match. Not cheap but we love it for the fact it's just a taste of europe after a month in asia. Always look forward to it.
    cheers
    swag

#3 Posted: 17/7/2011 - 10:06

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Vertigo is overpriced for eating and out of our budget but highly recommended for a few cocktails. Great setting for an anniversary. Dress appropriatly (closed shoes).
    Lebua is great but also out of budget

Maybe you can tell us what sort of food you're after? You can find anything in Bangkok. Or is setting more important?

#4 Posted: 17/7/2011 - 11:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the food critic for the bangkok post used to say something about how in places with nice candles and table coverings you are paying for the atmosphere, not the food.

where will you be staying? often times the restaurants in high-end hotels in bangkok are quite excellent and may be what you are looking for.

one place i often use on special occassions is Cabbages and Condoms on sukhumvit soi 12. it isn't the fanciest place but is still comfortably upscale, with a nice garden (trees, fairly lights, fountain, etc.), and often has live classical thai music. the menu ranges from simple thai fare to some more exotic stuff. patrons are a good mix of tourists, expats, and locals.

in bangkok i often like to start an evening at one place with a drink or two, move on to dinner, then finish up at a third place for drinks and/or dessert. it makes for a very full evening that way and you don't put all your eggs in one basket in case any of the spots weren't the ideal place you wanted.

i hope you find something perfect. best wishes.

#5 Posted: 17/7/2011 - 23:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.