Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trip planing

• Pici

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

I willl be in Thailand in the second half of August with my wife, infant baby , father and mother in lows, In this case I need some help to find the best place for visiting. we love beaches and shopping. I plan to be in Bangkok 3 or 3 days and 4 or 5 days in one of the Islands. Please help me to find the best place for this trip.

#1 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 17:03

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Ko Samui would be quite suitable, maybe Lamai Beach area although slightly quieter Bophut and Maenam on the north coast is worth a look. Chaweng is way too built up.

Ko Samui guide with links to accommodation here

#2 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 18:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bangkok is tough to navigate on foot. Sidewalks are for vending, not walking. There is no place for walking. Moving around with a family is not easy. I know from experience with my mother, wife and daughter. You can do it, but keep it simple and drive when you can.
    Given that, I would recommend a decent place like Dream Hotel or Park Avenue (Sukhimvite Soi 15 or Soi 22 respectively). These are NOT cheap places though. If budget is an issue, then it's a whole new ballgame and you have to ask mom and dad what they can handle for accomodation.
    As for beach time, I'd do Phuket . Easy flight straight there, has lots of restaraunts that cater to western taste. Phuket has a wide range of accomodation and cuisine. Koh Samui, as bob suggested, also isn't a bad choice.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 19:14

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I expect Bob suggested Samui because they are going in August. The weather is better on Samui than Phuket at that time of year. You can fly straight to Samui too.

If shopping is a priority then maybe staying in a hotel with easy access the Skytrain would be your best bet. The Asia Hotel has direct access via a walkway at the Ratchathewi BTS stop and is very central. (A shopaholic friend of mine from the UK always stays there!).

A google brought up several others too.

http://www.bangkok.com/hotels-bts.htm

I wouldn't recommend driving in BKK at all. Taxis yes, you driving, no. Skytrain is usually a quicker option anyway because of the traffic jams.

#4 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 20:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yes, I was inprecise there. When I said driving I meant taxi or skytrain. I don't mind walking in Bangkok when I am alone. When I am with my daughter, I hate it.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 23:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A little help please! Planing a month long trip from java to bali and possibly flores. ... By clayeee on 22 May 2014 11 778 5 Jun 2014