Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

work as diving instructor

• joli

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2011

Anyone have any advice for finding work as a diving instructor in Thailand or neighboring countries? Where and how to start looking for work? possibility of work permit or freelance? Any thoughts or advice welcomed! In thailand at present and looking to stay long term.

#1 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 16:43

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Currently it is diving season in Koh Tao but I imagine all of the jobs are filled by now. Another possibility is Koh Phangan. The best way would be to go there and seek out work or email a bunch of companies and ask them if they have anything available.

The Andaman side is good come October but I doubt there will be much at the moment.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 09:07

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    Firstly, do a decent cv introducting yourself, picture, qualifications, dive history and contact numbers (get yourself a local SIM card).
    Then go to he area you want to work and walk into every dive shops & introduce yourself & give them your cv. Eventually you'll start work!

You could email your cv to a lot of dive shops but if you are not in the local area I'm not sure you would get many replies, but it's worth a try but it's not a good as walking into the shop.

Work permits? Well that's up to the dive shop.
    Koh Tao is good for work, but lots of competation.
    Phuket & Khoa Lak picks up November.
    Pattaya year round.

Hours are long, pay is peanuts, the work is hard, but live the dream!
    Good luck!
    Mike

#3 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 09:46

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

This TF feature discusses becoming a dive instructor on Ko Tao

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/146

#4 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 13:06

• joli

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. Have worked as PADI instructor for 5 years in Red Sea, but feel the need for a change or maybe it is time for a change in career and dive for fun! I will follow up all your suggestions, thanks for taking the time.

#5 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 15:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.