Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

work as diving instructor

Posted by joli on 18/7/2011 at 16:43

Anyone have any advice for finding work as a diving instructor in Thailand or neighboring countries? Where and how to start looking for work? possibility of work permit or freelance? Any thoughts or advice welcomed! In thailand at present and looking to stay long term.

#1 joli has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by guava_girl on 19/7/2011 at 09:07

Currently it is diving season in Koh Tao but I imagine all of the jobs are filled by now. Another possibility is Koh Phangan. The best way would be to go there and seek out work or email a bunch of companies and ask them if they have anything available.

The Andaman side is good come October but I doubt there will be much at the moment.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by mikethediver on 19/7/2011 at 09:46

Hi,
Firstly, do a decent cv introducting yourself, picture, qualifications, dive history and contact numbers (get yourself a local SIM card).
Then go to he area you want to work and walk into every dive shops & introduce yourself & give them your cv. Eventually you'll start work!

You could email your cv to a lot of dive shops but if you are not in the local area I'm not sure you would get many replies, but it's worth a try but it's not a good as walking into the shop.

Work permits? Well that's up to the dive shop.
Koh Tao is good for work, but lots of competation.
Phuket & Khoa Lak picks up November.
Pattaya year round.

Hours are long, pay is peanuts, the work is hard, but live the dream!
Good luck!
Mike

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 19/7/2011 at 13:06

This TF feature discusses becoming a dive instructor on Ko Tao

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/146

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by joli on 19/7/2011 at 15:20

Thanks for all the replies. Have worked as PADI instructor for 5 years in Red Sea, but feel the need for a change or maybe it is time for a change in career and dive for fun! I will follow up all your suggestions, thanks for taking the time.

#5 joli has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.