Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand - October 10th-30th

• Simon1974

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Hi,
    I am travelling solo to Thailand in October and its my first time in the country. I have 20 nights in total and expect to spend at least a couple of nights on sleeper trains. I have put together a rough itinerary below.

Bangkok - 3 nights
    Chiang Mai - 4 nights
    Kanchanaburi - 4 nights
    Islands - 4 nights
    Final night in Bangkok

I’m after a few opinions from people with a bit more experience of the area.
    Am I trying to do too much in the time that I have?

I’ve looked at the weather guide for the islands and the chance of rain seems fairly high for either coast. Does anyone have any suggestions of which islands are most likely to be dry during the last week of October or would I better leaving that part of my trip open and making the decision whilst I’m there.

Thanks in advance for any responses

#1 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 22:29

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

That looks OK. I wouldn't get hung up on the nights. You might get somewhere and decide it blows and move on. Or you might get somewhere and love it and stay the whole time. But otherwise, looks fine.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 00:09

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Not sure which islands would be drier. On the Andaman the monsoon is coming to an end while on the Gulf it is just beginning. Just choose which you want to visit more and try your luck.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 09:17

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Leave it open, check the weather when you're there, and then decide.

#4 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 18:46

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If it were me I'd limit the time in Bangkok at the beginning. I'd just stay one night there, get some sleep and a shower, and head off. If you're planning on doing any shopping then it's best to leave Bangkok till the end. Saves you having to carry stuff around with you and gives you more flexibility for the rest of the trip.

You don't seem to have factored in transport time much. How are you planning to get to all these places?

Looks like you'll have to pass through Bangkok a few times anyway. It might be logistically easier to bundle up Kanchanaburi with your Bangkok stay (either at the beginning or the end of your trip) rather than sticking it in the middle of your itinerary.

I don't know what kind of island you want but Air Asia flies direct from Chiang Mai to Phuket. You don't necessarily have to stay in Phuket. Less developed islands like Ko Yao Yai and Ko Yao Noi are within easy reach, and Phi Phi and the Krabi area aren't too far away. Depends what kind of islands you fancy.

At the end of October the Andaman coast is probably going to be your best bet but as the others say wait till you get there to decide. In my experience it's just be the odd heavy shower lasting an hour or so on the Andaman coast at that time of year, no big deal. Mostly sunny and hot!

#5 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 19:49

• Simon1974

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Thanks for the replies everyone, they've given me a few things to consider.

I had planned on using sleeper trains to go both North to Chiang Mai and then South towards whichever islands were having the better weather. Thats why I was considering visitng Kanchanaburi in the middle of my trip to break up the traveling.

Thinking about it 4 nights on trains maybe a bit much. I had looked into flying from Chaing Mai to Koh Samui but the prices were very prohibitive even booking months in advance. I will look into the Airasia flights South.

With regards to the islands I was looking for somewhere reasonably chiiled out over the full on party scene, I'm showing my age now.

Off to work on the 2nd draft, thanks again.

#6 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 21:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
36 Male solo, travelling to Thailand 9-30th October ... By Simon1974 on 12 Jul 2011 0 1691 12 Jul 2011
Anyone going to Vientiane 30th October? ... By jackel on 13 Oct 2009 0 1376 13 Oct 2009
22 M Landing in Bangkok 30th October 2012 ... By morashid on 23 Jun 2012 0 1190 23 Jun 2012