Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Virgin solo traveller - Laos, Thailand and Vietnam - December adventure

Posted by minnimoo79 on 18/7/2011 at 23:10

Starting to plan my first and solo trip! eek

I have booked most of December off work and have 3, maybe 4 weeks to play with!

I have the opportunity to spend a few nights with an aunt in Bangkok, then as they say the world's my oyster... (ok just Thailand, Vietnam and Laos for now). Having done a little bit of research I want to initally stick to these three places and not pack my iterniary with too much. I want to have flexibility, yet ensure I visit and experience the best each country has to offer!

Any advice and suggestion would be welcomed!

Thanks in advance x

#1 minnimoo79 has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 18/7/2011 at 23:16

Pick one country if you don't want to spend a week out of the three trying to get around. Don't set an itinerary. Have a list of places you think would be cool to see, then put them in geograghical order (meaning if you are going to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai and Chaing Rai then don't do Chiang Mai first, Kanchanaburi second and Chaing Rai third, sequence them based on how they appear on the map) then go to the first one on your list when you decide to leave Bangkok and stay there until it bores you, then go to the next one. Keep doing this until you run out of time.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by minnimoo79 on 20/7/2011 at 22:31

Thanks for the reply! I think I need to do a bit more research on where I might want to visit in each country so I can plan a route map as you suggested.

How easy is it to book internal flights once you are there? I wouldlike the freedom to play it by ear, but worry about not having flights booked before I arrive. Thoughts apprecaited!

#3 minnimoo79 has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by Venture135 on 21/7/2011 at 08:14

Its very easy and cheap to book internal flights. Air Asia and Thai Airways are a good place to start. The Thai travel network (bus, train, boat) as a whole is good though. If your going for 3-4 weeks I wouldn't try to squeeze 3 countries in. IMO thats a bit tight for time and you might end up kicking yourself that you rushed it. Its nice to spend a good couple of days in each place and actually soak it in rather than move on move on move on, and you never know when you'll find somewhere where you just have to spend the week. I would focus on one country if I were you but thats just my opinion though!

Have a great trip!

#4 Venture135 has been a member since 15/7/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.