Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

1st accommodation from airport

• travel_time

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

I arrive in bangkok solo in a week... looking for any suggestions on a place to stay for 2-3 days to start my adventure from.
    I know there are loads of options and compare websites.. I dont mind ruffing it a bit latter on (Khao San Road area etc).
    But thought I might get something a bit desent to start with off with - arriving with backpack from the airport (400-1000 Baht budget?), with Wifi (I dont watch TV). Might pre-book a hotel (guesthouses fine too).
    Maybe Sukhumvit area?, any recommendations welcomed.. if not, no problem - just thought I'd ask. thanks.

#1 Posted: 21/7/2011 - 19:37

• Advertisement

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

I'm also curious to see what others recommend... lookin for a place to stay a couple nights in BKK to get situated with some purchases and hopefully getting over the jetlag as well!

#2 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 10:07

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

These days there are plenty of upscale rooms in the KSR area and 400-1000 baht is now more like low/midrange (almost nothing in that pricerange on Sukhumvit). Consider one of the flashpacker hotels on KSR like D&D Inn (or the newer Dang Derm Hotel across the road) or Rambutri Village Inn on Soi Rambutri.

#3 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 14:47

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

The KSR area isn't a ghetto of flea bag guest houses and hotels ... well, not anymore, though there are still a few kicking around. There are dozens and dozens of very good places to stay that fall well within your budget. Many of them are reviewed on this site. North of the Banglamphu area is Samsen, another neighbourhood that sits beside the river where there are lots and lots of good guest houses, inns and hotels in most price ranges.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/khao_san_road/all

#4 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 19:27

• travel_time

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

Thanks captain Bob and Tilapia - nice advice.
    yeah you are probably right, might as well go straight to where the action is.
    Doubt I would find any gems anyway... they all look pretty much the same.
    just wanted something to settle into easily from the airport, and dont particularly want to be walking around at 5pm with my rucksack on finding a suitable place to stay.... I wonder if its best to pre-book a place first so I can go directly there?

hmm.. I wonder how much a metered Taxi should cost from the airport?
    I heard I can grab a taxi at departures drop off. - as a taxi driver will be keen for a quick fare seeing as he has only just dropped someone off there a minutes ago.

#5 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 17:36

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I heard I can grab a taxi at departures drop off. - as a taxi driver will be keen for a quick fare seeing as he has only just dropped someone off there a minutes ago.

Go up to the departure level, go out a door and cross the road to where you'll see them waiting after having dropped people off. You won't pay the 50B surcharge if you do that but you'll still have to pay toll fees because you're arriving during rush hour (and taxis like to use the expressway anyway, means they can get another client quicker). Insist on using the meter. If the first taxi you try refuses then just take another one. Using the meter will almost certainly be cheaper than an "agreed price".

Disadvantage of this is that when you get an official taxi from the arrivals area where you pay the 50B fee, someone will ask where you're going and write it down in Thai for the driver. Sometimes the cab drivers speak very little English so you might have a little difficulty explaining where you want to go if you do it from the departure level.

I always give a tip to taxis to/ from the airport if they take me straight there rather than doing an unnecessary lengthy detour. This is partly to reward honesty and partly because the fixed 35B fee hasn't changed in decades but fuel prices have gone up a lot. The people driving the taxis don't own them and have to pay for using the vehicle.

Not sure how much it'll cost as I don't stay in the Banglampoo/KSR area. Probably in the region of 300B (including toll fees) but that's just a guess. Plus 50B if you do it the official way. Plus a tip if you want.

#6 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 18:54

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

My first post on here but after doing some research and talking to someone the best plan seems to be to arrive with pre booked accommodation and find a taxi, when you get in hand the driver the booking info so he knows where he is going.

#7 Posted: 4/8/2011 - 01:48

• EdSue

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 8

Earlier this year we stayed at Bangkok Centre Hotel. Great location at about $40 (book through Agoda website for cheaper prices) with all you ask for, BUT BEST OF ALL it is very close to the train station, underground and the bus from the airport stopped right outside! Good starting point anyway until you find your bearings.

#8 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 14:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

#9 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 17:25

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I am arriving in Bangkok on Thursday and wanted somewhere decent but close to the action for a decent price. I booked with hostelbookers.com where you can read reviews and compare ratings on loads of different options. I opted for the Khaosan Baan Thai which we paid 1,000 baht for 2 of us for 2 nights in a private room, but sharing a bathroom. It's got the best reviews for the price and is close enough to walk to Khaosan Road but just far enough away so that it's not too noisy. The hotel even emailed us directions, which you may find useful for getting to Khaosan road:

Transportation from Suvanabhumi airport to Khaosan Baan Thai : (40 km.)

1. By meter taxi : contact to the taxi counter on 2nd floor, outside of the airport exit, state your destination. There is 50 baht surcharge on the meter (per a taxi). In addition, you have to pay for 2 expressway fee 70 baht. The meter should run up to 300-350 baht and it takes approx. 50-100 mins. depending on the traffic.

2. By Airport Rail Link (SA City Line) from Suvarnabhumi Airport (every 15 minutes, since 6:00-24.00) to Phayathai Station. It's 45 baht, around half hour. After that you can take taxi or Tuk-Tuk around 60-80 baht. to Khaosan Baan Thai.

http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/02_routing_services/02_sa_cityline_a.html

Hope this helps, and I'll let you know how we found the hotel.

#10 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 22:41

• Advertisement

• catfishsam

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Why did the airport buses stop running in July? You can always get a airport towncar though, right? This might be the more expensive route, but it would be much safer than a meter taxi.

#11 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 00:48

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I think the buses stopped due to the rail link - http://bangkok.sawadee.com/airport/airport_link.htm

I usually don't book rooms in advance in BK or anywhere else unless I'm arriving at some ungodly hour, I just show up or use couchsurfing.

#12 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 03:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.