Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Eastern islands?

• Slugo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2011

Will be staying in Pattaya, mid-September. We would like to spend a few days on one an island. Have been there before, went to Samet. Enjoyed it, but may like something different, maybe a little less crowded. It seems that a lot of places are closed during September, due to rainy season. Not looking for anything fancy, just a nice place to relax. Thank you.

p.s. I should have provided more detail. We will be in Thailand for 2 weeks, only looking to go an island for about 3-4 days, thus only looking at those in the east.

#1 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 20:36

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Ko Chang is a pretty obvious choice as it has a variety of beaches on offer depending on what kind of experience you're looking for - it's also the easiest to get to considering it is the jump off point for Ko Maak and Ko Wai . Ko Chang is big, so where Ko Wai and Ko Maak may be mostly shuttered up you'll still have plenty of opportunities to find a sandy spot on Ko Chang. Great sunsets.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 01:48

• Slugo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2011

I found some places on Maak that are open in September, and at pretty good rates. I thought it was possible to travel direct from Trat to Maak? Some of the web pages mention that only slow boat service is available, once a day. Is that accurate? Not an issue, just curious. I am guessing the trip would take 6 hours?

#3 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 02:43

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There is a coconut boat that goes to Koh Mak from the pier at Laem Ngop. It used to go every day at 3:00. No need to go to Koh Chang first.

#4 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 02:57

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

In early 2010, the slow boat was not running every day but every other day. Because of that, we wound up taking the pricey but quick and fun speedboat directly from Laem Ngop to Koh Maak. If you spend the night in Trat, there are any number of places happy to sell a speed boat ticket. Ask around for different prices and times.

I wish I were there right now! Regards.

#5 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 08:52

• Slugo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2011

And back we go again. Enjoyed Chang last year, most everything was empty. I assume due to rainy season, but the weather was fine for the 3 days we stayed. Prices were also reasonable, B1500 for a nice, and quite new, aircon bungalow facing the pool/ocean. We stayed at the last resort on White Sand beach (can't remember name right now).

That being said, I'm thinking of going back to Samet this time. Mainly due the fact that it is much closer, the mini-bus ride to/fom Laem Ngop was a bit long.

Anyone have a recent experiences? It's been 3 years since I was last on Samet. Thank you.

#6 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 10:07

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I think Samet is a good choice - nearly all the beaches face east so are on the lee side meaning no nasty surf like Chang and less flotsam etc than westward facing beaches. And Samet has a full range of beaches from lively to very laid back.

Having said that, I'm a fan on Ko Kut south of Chang. There will always be a ferry service on account of the decent local population (service includes songthaew to pier - ask at Trat bus station) and the beaches are far better than Chang's. I'd be thinking Siam Bay for a beach fairly sheltered in wet season (because of its wrap around headlands). Got three nice resorts flashpacker and above. travelfish's place booker plus Google are your friends here. Look for Siam Beach Resort for starters.

#7 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 02:42

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

September is really quiet time for those islands. You won't find much open on Kood. Have you thought about flying south? Lanta is a bigger version of Samet without the bad mozzies. I don't know how you liked Samet with all the trash and mozzies there.

#8 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 19:06

• Slugo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2011

Yes, I have had my eye on Ko Kut. The only thing keeping me from going there is that it seems that the travel time would be most of a day. Like wise for flying to the southern islands. This is a once a year trip to visit a family member, so only want to spend 2-3 days away on an island.
    I didn't recall Samet to be very trashy? Mozzies, yes. I think the beach was Vong Deum.

#9 Posted: 5/9/2012 - 06:58

• mianasad

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2012

Whilethis subject can be very touchy for most people, my opinion is that there hasto be a middle or common ground that we all can find. no. 1matrimonial site in the worldI do appreciate that you’ve added relevantand intelligent commentary here though. Thank you!

#10 Posted: 5/9/2012 - 09:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The Other (Eastern) Islands - Ko Chang, Ko Maak, Ko Wai ... By caseyprich on 9 Mar 2010 0 2594 9 Mar 2010
Eastern Thailand Islands 16 days advice please! ... By peejglynn on 10 Aug 2010 6 2414 11 Aug 2010