Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand daily/monthly budget for backpacker with private rooms.

• crazyblonde-
    chick

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hiya,

I will be travelling around Thailand in November by myself after some time working in China.

I am hoping to have £1000 for the month I will be there, so roughly £35 per day.

Is this a reasonable budget for a backpacker, not quite a flashpacker but looking at having a private room, aircon if possible but fan will do if it will push costs up too much.

I will be travelling with a suitcase after working abroad which makes things difficult, and is mostly why i need a private room as i will have a few valuables with me.

In terms of food/transport etc I am planning to spend little on these and go by usual backpacker transport, maybe the odd flight if possible, and mostly street food and cheap eats.

I have done thailand before as a holiday so will be doing it differently on this trip. Is £35 per day reasonable? I dont plan to do much drinking or shopping either, apart from occasional market bits and bobs from somewhere like MBK.

Flight to thailand is already covered, so it will just be accom/food/spending money for the 4 weeks.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 23:41

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Should be plenty - depending of course on where you are going. But you should be able to find a decent hotel with aircon between 500-700 baht in most places. Food is cheap if you eat local. So the only issue is what you are actually DOING while you are here that is going to cost above that.

#2 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 23:47

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Without a doubt - that is a large budget for a backpacker! Don't worry about it! I agree with MADMAC in that your only issue will be what to spend your $ on.

#3 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 00:08

• crazyblonde-
    chick

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am likely to mostly be doing cheap and free things.

Might fit in a cooking course or something if I can afford to, my previous trip I found I spent far less than I planned to so I will most likely take every day as it comes.

Good to know 35 will be comfortable enough. If it was slightly less at say 30 pounds per day will this be just as do able aswell? Might not be able to get quite 1000 pounds together so would be good to know I will still be alright if so.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 00:23

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

30-35 quid (1440-1680 baht) is ample for your average backpacker budget as you described with a few frills thrown in. Probably the biggest variation in cost is between the southern hotspots where beach bungalow with aircon can easily run over 1000 baht/night and clobber your budget vs. the north (Chiang Mai for example) where a guesthouse room with aircon can be found for under 500 baht (and in Nov you won't need AC anyway) and a clean solid fan room can be as low as 100-200 baht.

Everything just costs a little (or a lot) more down south but you can stick with the more backpackery beaches and maybe skip the AC. Ko Lanta's a good choice, or next door quieter Ko Jum, and Ton Sai next to Railay or Little Chang and Ko Phayam up the Ranong coast. You can cut costs some of the time and then have funds for a splash-out sometimes too, like getting a proper hotel room once in a while with hot bath and teev to curl up with.

As for "private room" that's pretty much standard anyway. Very few dorms or hostel-type places in Thailand. As for valuables, don't leave such lying around in your room. Keep it with you or lock it up properly.

#5 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 02:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Go to Chaing Mai and stay at Bob's place. That's a bargain!

#6 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 11:27

• crazyblonde-
    chick

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

hiya,
    one last thing, as I am having trouble dividing my budget.

i know i have say 35GBP per day or 1600 or so baht.
    i am not sure whether to go for accom at say 5-700 baht or go for something around 1000 (only when needed, ie seems worth it for bangkok) leaving me 6-700 baht for everything else.

how much would a daily backpacker budget be without including accommodation?
    my last trip i didnt have much of a budget and although i found it very cheap i didnt track my spending so probably spent far more than a backpacker!

Is 700 a reasonable excluding accom daily budget? I will prob mix it up between cheaper and more expensive places, but would be good to know if 700 is too ridiculous for daily spends etc.

#7 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 03:57

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

700 baht a day should be possible.

#8 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 09:57

• crazyblonde-
    chick

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

yeah i think it is possible, but is it comfortable or just too ridiculous? i am happy to stay somewhere cheaper if not, after all i will hardly be in the room i guess!

#9 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 03:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

bangkok will be the most expensive, and you'll likely spend that full 700 baht per day or even a bit more for a comfortable room with aircon. but in places like chiang mai or nong khai or elsewhere, you can get a great fan room for 350 baht or less. i like to stay in these less expensive places because in my experience they have more charm.

anyway, it depends on where you go and what and how you like to eat of course, but figure 300 to 350 baht a day for food and snacks (100 baht per meal or even cheaper at street stalls) and 100 baht or so per day average for transportation. i like to get massage a few times a week when i'm in thailand, so that's adds up to 100 baht per day average. beyond that, it depends on how much you like to drink, how many gifts you choose to buy, etc.

but, as captain bob said above, your budget is ample for the time you'll be there. and since fan should largely do the trick that time of year, the biggest way save cash is by choosing the more modest but still charming accommodation spots - and there are plenty of them. let us know where you plan to visit and we can make some specific recommendations. cheers.

#10 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 04:13

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
cheapest-langkawi or thailand? monthly budget? ... By teresa7 on 4 Jul 2010 0 2220 4 Jul 2010
Fuengfa Place Chiangmai- Daily & Monthly room for rent ... By fuengfaplace on 7 May 2009 0 2727 7 May 2009
Backpacking Daily Budget ... By GregRoy on 17 Oct 2012 5 3479 27 Oct 2012
Daily Budget in South East Asia ... By katieflorence on 23 Oct 2009 3 8021 27 Oct 2009
Tentative 3.5 week itinerary - need help guesstimating a daily budget ... By FreeSombrero on 24 Sep 2013 6 987 24 Sep 2013
Brick Road Cafe and Budget rooms Chiang Mai ... By brickroadcafe on 19 Mar 2008 0 2632 21 Nov 2008
free wifi bangkok guesthouse cheap nice good rent private room hotel Khao san road hostel backpacker ... By bluefinGh on 21 Jun 2014 0 501 21 Jun 2014