Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand and Cambodia trip cost

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Hi,

I am a solo backpacker from India. Planning to trip to Thailand and Cambodia. In Thailand, I am looking at the paradise beaches of Ko Phi Phi, besides Phang Nga and Khao Sok. I wanna spend around two days at Phi Phi Don, and another night camping at Maya Bay. Then I am thinking of moving towards Koh Lipe and spend around 3 days there. From Koh Lipe I want to make a journey back to Khao Sok via Phuket and stay there for 3 days. In the last leg, I want to head back to Bangkok and go to Siem Reap for 2 days. I want to stay away from the hordes of beer guzzlers and sex tourists and have a budget of 1000 bhats per day. Would that be sufficient? And how many days will be required for this itinerary? I am open to other alternatives as well from people having recent first hand experience. Thanks in advance for your valued suggestions.

#1 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 12:04

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It looks a bit tight to me.
    In general I'd say that Thailand and Cambodia are a little more expensive than India.

With $30 per day you'll be able to manage but since you intend to travel a lot there's not much money left for anything else. That 2 day trip to Angkor will cost you roughly $150 if you calculate for visa, transport from BKK, accommodation, entrance, transport and meals. So you'll have to shave that money of your daily budget for the Thai days.

Perhaps stay put in 1-2 islands to save money or don't travel all the way to Cambodia for just 2 days.

#2 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 12:43

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Is Koh Phi Phi really so picture perfect as it looks on the famous shot of the island with a long tail boat? Or is it just a mere hype? Honestly, I decided on Thailand only for the heavenly seascapes, but to my utter disappointment these places will also burn a deeper hole in my already shallow pocket. I intend to arrive in April next year and the maximum I can save till that time, will roughly amount to 35000 bhats, excluding the return air tickets. So, if you have traveled recently, please advise if this budget will suffice? But I don't want to go to places swarming with tourists. Will 35000 bhats be enough for me to survive in Thailand with the aforementioned destinations for 15 days? I am willing to bunk Cambodia if it gets that pricey.

#3 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 14:42

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Why don't you skip the Thai islands and opt for the Cambodian islands instead. Part of your problem is the huge distances you have to cover between places and then transport costs will add up.
    Your budget is sufficient if you stick to 1 country. Whether it's southern Thailand or Cambodia.

I'm not an expert on Thailand, although the islands are truly beautiful, but if you choose to visit Cambodia only you will manage with that budget as well. Just visit the islands just of Sihanoukville and you won't be disappointed. Especially if you want to avoid the crowds.
    Check this site for information on the Cambodian islands.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 15:00

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

I will do Cambodia later. So, I guess 35000 bhats for Southern Thailand for 15 days will be adequate. What do you think?

#5 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 15:37

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That is more than enough. 35000 for 15 days will come down to more than 2000 baht per day and you can do almost anything you like then.

#6 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 20:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"That is more than enough. 35000 for 15 days will come down to more than 2000 baht per day and you can do almost anything you like then."
    That's a bold statement my man. "Almost anything you like" can encompass a pretty wide range fan.

#7 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 21:52

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Thanks for your comments. Do you think 35000 bhats will be enough for me, if I want to squeeze in a 3 day tour of Siem Reap?

#8 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 22:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

If it were me, I'd do one or the other. I've never been to Siem Reap , so others here would be better positioned to tell you how much it would cost. But you have to factor in transportation and visa costs, as well as the cost of visiting Siem Reap itself. I don't like to penny pinch when on vacation, so I would stay in one place. But ultimately your values on this subject are yours, so remains the call on what to do.

#9 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 23:19

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You can squeeze that in as well. That 2000 baht per day budget will give you that freedom as opposed to the previous 1000 baht per day.

Time is off course a facto but i believe there are nightbuses as well fo the BKK-Siem Reap route.

#10 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 23:36

• Advertisement

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Thanks a lot for your valued opinions, a lot of bloggers on LP has suggested that Koh Phi Phi is not as beautiful as it looks on the picture perfect postcard shots. What do you guys think? Any idea about Khao Sok NP? I have posted it as a different thread but didn't get any reply thus far.

#11 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 03:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

No place is as beautiful as they look on postcards. Postcards have been carefully shot, at just the right angle. Then a graghic designer touches them up. By the time you're done, you have perfection. But it's suppose to be a pretty nice place. Thousands of tourists wouldn't keep coming back to it if it were not.

#12 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 11:48

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Koh Phi Phi is a beautiful island, but definitely overpriced. All of Thailand is beautiful with clear waters and beautiful beaches. I was there last year and loved it, but as I traveled to other places and islands I realized I could have spent a 1/3 of what I spent on Koh Phi Phi. I am headed back in February and spending 15 days in Cambodia, 12 days in Thailand and will stear clear of Phuket and Kho Phi Phi.

#13 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 06:27

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

So which island do you suggest?

#14 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 12:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
how much would a 3-4 week trip to vietnam, cambodia, laos cost? ... By anjooo on 22 Jun 2010 3 6213 24 Jun 2010
Indonesia cost vs Thailand cost? ... By steffanmathias on 3 Dec 2008 2 9341 4 Dec 2008