Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Khao Sok National Park

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Will it be a good idea to visit Khao Sok NP in the month of April. And how much will it cost a solo traveler for 2-3 days. Also, please refer some cheap but clean accommodations. Researching about this place is somewhat difficult on the internet, as most of the available info seems outdated. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

#1 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 15:43

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Yes April is a good time to visit. But bear in mind that it will be very hot.

I am not sure what it will cost but you can get accommodations for around 300 Baht. I am not sure of names of places but the park is not so busy for overnighters so you will probably be able to find something once you get there.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 08:46

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Might be busy there during Songkran though ... the week around April 13 ish.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 19:10

• TigerTrail

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2011
    Location Thailand

Accomodation is not the hardest. The hardest and thus most expensive is to get to the parc itself. Hardly any local transport going there, Thais will use their own cars. So you are often looking at booking a package tour for these kind of national parks. Saves you a lot of hassle, but maybe not what you are looking for...

Besides that Khao Sok is worth visiting all year round and as said before. Thais travel a lot around Songkran (Buddhist new year) and also it's really nice to experience this urself in the urban areas of the country. So plan it before or after. Songkran is officially 15-17 April I think. But it changes locally (gotta love the Thais hahaha).

Good luck!

#4 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 16:40

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Transport's not bad - we got a bus from Khao Lak. It was comfortable enough, only took 90 minutes and dropped us at the junction of the main road and the road down to the accommodation. We had accommodation booked, so had a pick-up arranged, but there seemed to be plenty of people around willing to then take you down the road.

#5 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 18:42

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Can't seem to find authentic info about Khao Sok NP and Cheow Lan Lake, most of the info seems outdated. I want to spend 3 days/ 2 nights there with some canoeing and light jungle treks. The various tour packages seem to be too expensive for me and moreover I am traveling solo and that seems to increase the price per person. Does anyone have an idea regarding the various activities in Khao Sok and Cheow Lan lake that can be undertaken without booking an exorbitantly pricey package

#6 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 14:30

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Every guesthouse has tours on the lake etc and there are tour agency stands/shops too if I remember right. Khao Sok isn't a big place, basically just one main street with a few guesthouses a little further away. Just have a walk round and see what's on offer. Long time since I was there so I can't remember what the prices were. You might be able to hook up with someone else at your GH to reduce costs if there's a minimum number of participants. You can go for a walk in the jungle on your own too but there's an entrance fee.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 20:05

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

I was there in November 2009, so my information will probably be a bit out-dated as well, but I can tell you that at the time we paid 400B for a mid-priced room at Nung House (it was a wooden cabin, pretty basic and lots of insects but had a mossie net), 200B entrance fee to the park (where we did a pretty uninteresting trek) and 500B for a kayak down the river (which didn't particularly impress us either - sorry!). The day trips out to the dam, the caves etc., which looked much more interesting, were about 1,500B. We didn't go as it stretched out budget a bit too much and we only had one day there.

#8 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 18:57

• Pailin

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2011
    Location Germany

Hey,
    I'm going down south at the end of august and defenetly gonna go see Khao Sok Nationalpark. So if you maybe just remind me of it I can than tell you about the prices :)
    As far as I read the entrance fee is 400B for 7 days. But the page only offered accommodations for 600B or more per night. But a friend of a friend stayed there, like a month ago, for 300B/night. noone can remember the name of the place, but I think if you just ask in a near by town or something - they might know where to go.

#9 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 09:11

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

pailin, can you, please post here your findings as well as any info about the park, hiking , visiting the lake, etc.
    appreciate it

#10 Posted: 23/8/2011 - 05:49

• Advertisement

• DShan

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

pailin, can you also please share your findings/experience in khao Sok National Park too? I've heard that you can get buses/mini vans from Surat Thani to Khao Sok. I'm planning to go there in Dec this year, but seems like not much information online..

#11 Posted: 8/9/2011 - 08:50

• kimlyn

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

hello,
    Together with some friends, we are planning to travel from bangkok to KL by train in november. We have checked the website http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm for info on the trip by train and are thinking of stopping in surat thani and then take a bus to Khao Sok. Can someone please give us some reference for cheap but clean accomodations? We would also like to visit the cheow lan lake...is it possible to book in khao sok? packages offered by some guesthouses are too expensive for us.

#12 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 23:05

• DShan

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I was looking at booking with Nung House. They have huts starting from 300B, looks quite ok. If not, i suppose you can just walk around Khao Sok to find one that suits you. As for the lake, I'm not sure if you can do it yourself, but I suppose it's not too difficult to book a boat around the lake? You can possibly take a bus to the lake entrance though. As for booking with the national park, I was looking at the rate and it seems that it's quite expensive. Guesthouses offer the 2D1N tour at 2,500B per pax for staying in the house or 2,000B for staying in tent. And that includes cave tours and other treks

#13 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 11:28

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

There are mini buses from Surat Thani to Khao Sok. Alternatively you can get the regular bus from Surat to Phuket that passes through Khao Sok. There are only 2 or 3 or these a day, I believe there is one quite early in the morning, then one midday and the last one is at 3pm.

#14 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 09:10

• czhannes

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2012

i am just right now at khao sok so i can share some info with u :) entrance to park is 200 baht per 23 hours, children up to 14 and students are half. accommodation is easy with plenty of options, we stay at jungle huts, mentioned in lonely planet, and its pretty nice. 400 baht per cottage for 4 or nicer one for 2. tours are offered by every guest house with same prices - one day trip to lake for 1500 and 2 days with sleeping on the raft for 2500. u can get dicount up to 500 baht per trip, it seems to be pretty overpriced. we go on our own hike through 7 waterfalls, should be around 8 km one way so i will see how its looks like :) cheers!

http://blog.czhannes.com

#15 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 09:13

• longbeach

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2012

Songkran is 13-15 April but can last longer. Lake tours are the ones that get the best reviews. Look forward to your update.

#16 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 19:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Khao Yai National Park ... By steveandlesley on 9 Sep 2007 0 4995 9 Sep 2007
Khao Sok national park.... yes/no? ... By boleslav on 30 Aug 2009 4 4753 3 Sep 2009
Anyone been to Khao Sok national park? ... By bethbackpacks on 5 Jan 2009 1 3964 11 Jan 2009
Khao Sok National Park ... By rocketgirl on 4 Oct 2007 26 9760 29 Jan 2014
Khao Yai national park in April ... By stever1000 on 9 Jan 2014 2 255 10 Jan 2014
Khao Sok national park or kanchanaburi? ... By Dpullman on 12 May 2011 1 2937 13 May 2011
Khao Yai national park guides ... By FrenchArt on 6 May 2012 6 2527 31 Dec 2013
Where to stay in Khao Sok National Park ... By leslie on 24 Feb 2006 3 4466 20 Oct 2006
Khao Sok National Park- guesthouses ... By MrsLRC on 27 Nov 2012 6 3088 29 Nov 2012
Where to stay in Khao Sok National Park ... By leslie on 24 Feb 2006 0 3370 24 Feb 2006