Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

where to go advice/best place for christmas and new year

Posted by mudchild on 26/7/2011 at 18:08

Hello,

Just after a bit of advice really on my travel plans.

My Itinery for 3.5 months is as below (I know this could change if I meet some cool people or just fancy hanging out somewhere a bit longer)

Bangkok for 4 days
Beachy/Islands so either head towards Krabi/Lanta etc or Ko Tao/ko pha ngan etc
Chaing mai and pai etc
Volunteering for 2 weeks
Bangkok- Kanchanaburi etc
Cambodia/Laos
beachy islands - Krabi/raileh beach/Ko phi phi etc or Ko Tao/ko pha ngan etc

My real question is am I missing somewhere really amazing and also as Im a lone traveller where would be the best place to spend Christmas and New Year out of Ko Tao/pha ngan areas or the Krabi/ralieh beach areas. I will go to both areas but just would like some advice about what way round to do it!
I dont really want to end up with loads of couples at Christmas so just wanted somewhere where there is quite a fun chilled traveller vibe but without being completely mental!

Any suggestions would be great!
Hope this isn't too rambled!!
Thanks

#1 mudchild has been a member since 10/6/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 14

Posted by guava_girl on 28/7/2011 at 09:11

First, by the looks of it you are going south, north and then south again. I realize that you are trying to split up the islands into two different times. But I suggest a different plan.

BKK to the islands is fine, then you should go to Kanchanaburi en route to Chang Mai, etc. From there go across into Laos and then from Laos to Cambodia or through Northeast Thailand to Cambodia. After Cambodia then hit the other islands for the remainder of your trip.

As for x-mas/New years I don't think it makes much difference. It is more important when you are starting and ending your trip, as each side of the south of Thailand has a different monsoon. This will make it easier to determine when to go where.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.