Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Way f/ Chang Mai to Nong Khai

• mespena

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2007

What's the best way to get from Chang Mai to Nong Kai? Plane? Train? What's the airport that services Nong Khai? I am going from Nong Khai to Ko Chang afterward...
    Thanks
    May

#1 Posted: 31/1/2007 - 05:17

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey mespena,

train isn't really an option, because you'd have to go almost all the way back to bangkok and then catch another train to nong khai.

the airport that serves nong khai is udon thani, about an hour to the south. nok air advertises at least three flights per week on the chiang mai to udon thani route. this would be a good way to go if you have limited time.

alternatively, if you have a bit more time, i'd take the long way from chiang mai over to laos and luang prabang, down to vientiane, and then across the friendship bridge to nong khai. that's a classic backpacker route and very much worth the effort if you have the time. cheers.

#2 Posted: 31/1/2007 - 10:08

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The route through Laos is excellent.

Another way (through Thailand) would be to go to Phitsanulok, hop on a bus to Loie, then either go north to Chiang Khan then follow the river east, or go from Loie straight to Nong Khai via Pak Chom. It's not a one day trip, though. Phitsanulok to Loie takes about 4-5 hours, and Loie to Nong Khai takes about 7-8 hours.

I'd recommend going to Phitsanulok and staying the night (if you don't plan on going to Sukhothai). It's a pretty decent place in the evening, especially along the river. Plus, if you haven't seen it, you can go and check out Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat. In the morning, catch the bus to Loie (get your ticket in advance because there are only a couple each day and they are usually standing room only!), then go north to Chiang Khan for the evening (or a couple of days ... it's a lovely spot).

From Chiang Khan go east to Pak Chom (by songthaew), and then hop on a bus to Nong Khai (you may have to wait for a little while). You can stop in either Sangkhom or Si Chiangmai to break the trip, if you want. Both are pretty nice, but you can get to Nong Khai in about 5 hours.

Spectacular trip along the Mekong!

It's also possible and pretty easy to hitch between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai, though traffic is pretty light along some stretches of this road (211).

#3 Posted: 31/1/2007 - 21:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Tilapia wins. The route Tilapia suggests is loads of fun, and definitely wins the award for the "road less travelled." I'm homesick just thinking about that last portion of the trip along the Mekong River.

Si Chiangmai is a favorite spot of mine too, gazing longingly at Vientiane across the river. Plus, it's the spring roll wrapper capital of the world.

Tilapia, if I quit my job tomorrow and book a flight to Bangkok, it is because of you! Cheers.

#4 Posted: 1/2/2007 - 09:43

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmmmm ... that sounds like a pretty good idea, Exacto, and not just because it's -21C this morning. When I left Bangkok a couple of weeks ago it was 30C by this time of the day.

If you do, don't forget to send a postcard ... ={:?D)

#5 Posted: 1/2/2007 - 21:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3849 19 Feb 2010
Nong Khai or Mae Hong Son ... By longbeach on 11 Jul 2012 19 1890 19 Jul 2012
Prachuap or Nong Khai ... By LeonardCohen1 on 14 Mar 2013 11 1979 6 Apr 2013
Nong Khai and Surrounds ... By morroco on 1 Mar 2013 2 1465 2 Mar 2013
POIPET to NONG KHAI ... By steffanmathias on 7 Jun 2010 1 3551 7 Jun 2010
Fireball at Nong Khai ... By neosho on 31 Oct 2012 0 1520 31 Oct 2012
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 6229 23 Jul 2008
Nong Khai to Laos ... By Kevi19 on 5 May 2012 10 1846 10 May 2012
Bus from Nong Khai to Mukdahan ... By think87 on 14 Jul 2012 7 2429 15 Jul 2012
violence in nong khai? ... By amezella on 3 Apr 2009 6 4332 7 Jun 2009