Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

AE buses from Suvarnabhumi to Khao San Road still running?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi people,

Does anyone know if the airport express buses from Suvarnabhumi to Khao San road still running regularly?

//

#1 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 18:02

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Do you mean the public bus 556 which will drop you on Ratchdamnoen next to KS?
    The last time I went to the Transport Centre they told me it had stopped running.That was 3 months ago. I now take the rail link to Payathai and get a taxi the rest of the way, in total about 100+ baht.That bus was the best kept secret in Bangkok, what was it? 14 baht in air-conditioned bus which uses the expressway.If you get a chance to see if it's back up and running I'd love to know.

#2 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 19:41

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The Airport Express buses stopped running on 1 July 2011.

Here is a cache to an old page in the airport website

http://bit.ly/r3ts9Y

#3 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 20:16

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Thanks for the replies.

Too bad about the buses. They were so convenient.

So i take it the rail link to Makkasan would be the better option now? Which are the alternatives for onwards travel to KSR from there?

#4 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 20:48

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The Makhasan link is the express train takes about 15 minutes and the Payathai link is the ordinary train takes half hour but costs only 45 baht.
    Isn't Payathai nearer KS Rd than Makhasan? Taxi won't set you back more than 60 baht.

#5 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 22:22

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Thanks a lot sayadin,

I'm pretty sure the 15 min. ride will be one to chose after the 16 hour flight..:)

Happy trails..

#6 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 18:45

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

there are now express trains running to Phaya Thai station:
    http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/10_footer/news_detail/26.html

it's not always easy getting a cab from Makkasan station, & traffic in the Makkasan area can be hell during rush hour.

#7 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 22:17

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yes, I prefer Payathai.The ordinary train is 45 baht is the Express significantly more?
    I ask because I believe you only shave 15 minutes off the journey by going Express not really worth paying a premium.I'll be there in 2 weeks.
    I was really imressed with the amount of helpers around to get you on the right train.The Thais are really well-organised when it comes to things like that.

#8 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 00:02

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

from that link, seems that Express costs double (90 baht to Phaya Thai).

I ask because I believe you only shave 15 minutes off the journey by going Express not really worth paying a premium.

was just mentioning the new Suvarnabhumi-Phaya Thai Express option so that people would be aware of it. am not saying that it is better (i myself stick to the City Line). i believe SARL introduced this new service because ridership on the Express line has been dismal. but there are still some people who prefer the emptier Express trains with luggage racks.

well-organised...hmm they could have completed the construction of linkways between the SARL & BTS stations at Phaya Thai, as well as between Makkasan & MRT Phetchaburi stations, before the opening of the SARL system...& maybe make the token vending machines at Suvarnabhumi operational ;)

#9 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 08:23

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'they could have completed the construction of linkways between the SARL & BTS stations at Phaya Thai'
    The Skytrain and Airport link ARE linked I believe certainly there are walkways between the two although the signage isn't the best.I know there's a link because first time I used it I found myself in the line for skytrain tickets and was directed along a walkway which took me directly to the Airport Link.
    Perhaps they've fixed the token machines now as it was working fine 3 weeks ago.They even had someone stationed at the machine to help the bewildered (like me)
    Bit of a culture shock after Cambodia :-)

#10 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:15

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

apologise for leading the discussion off topic...:P

yes the BTS & SARL stations at Phaya Thai are now linked. however, the linkway was built in late 2010 only after the SARL was completed (in 2009) & started running (in Aug 2010, after a 4-year delay).

for Makkasan, as of Dec 2010, the tender for building the linkway had yet to be awarded (still yet to be completed).

if they were indeed well-organised, they could have planned ahead & incorporated the linkways into the designs of Phaya Thai & Makkasan SARL stations (note that the word 'before' in the last paragraph of my earlier post is italicised & underlined).

glad to hear that the token machines are finally operational, & that there are now staff to guide passengers.

anyway, was just amused to see the words 'well-organised' used to describe them :P (though they really are well-organised when it comes to things involving ceremonies.)

#11 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 21:48

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You're probably right about the lack of forward planning (if you think it's bad in Thailand have a look at Cambodia)
    The point I was making though is the Thais had lots of staff hanging around the ticket machines and gates to facilitate easy access. Perhaps I mislead you by saying 'well-organised' might have been better if I'd just said 'helpful'.
    Is the fact that the building of the Link has been mismanaged because of the Thai reluctance to ask or use foreign companies? I think I read somewhere that telecommunications in Thailand is now behind Cambodia because they were waiting for a Thai company to raise the capital for improvements rather than accept non-Thai bids.In other words this ultra-nationalism sweeping Thailand is holding their development back.I really don't know a lot about it, just hazarding a guess.
    To get back on topic, I'd be interested to know which is nearer KSR-Payathai or Makhasan?

#12 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 22:26

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Phaya Thai is closer than Makkasan to KSR.

actually, if you don't have much to carry, don't mind walking, & want a bit of 'adventure', a 'crazy' speedy (but more complicated esp for someone new to the city) way of getting from Makkasan to the Democracy Monument area during the daytime = walk/motorbike taxi to Asoke pier > Khlong Saen Saeb canal boat to Phanfa pier (it's across the canal from Golden Mount aka. Wat Saket).

Is the fact that the building of the Link has been mismanaged because of the Thai reluctance to ask or use foreign companies?

don't know. if there is such a reluctance, wonder if it might depend on the political party in power too. major infrastructure projects can be lucrative ;)

the SARL itself was built by a consortium that includes Siemens. & there are infrastructure projects in Thailand that were built by foreign companies (most famous case now = the German company involved in the seizure of a particular aircraft in Munich...they built one of the tollways in BKK).

#13 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 00:48

• yippie65

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

recon. you to take SARL to Phayathai and taxi would be best option for you. at Phayathai is much easier to catch a cab ^_^

#14 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 13:51

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Wandering Cat
    Where is the pier in Ratchdamnoen? I've been looking up this boat service and it looks great.Is it under the white bridge at the intersection after Democracy going into town?

#15 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 14:17

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#15:
    it's here: http://wikimapia.org/11543252/Phan-Fah-Ferry-Wharf

#16 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 16:02

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Thanks a lot wandering cat. All these years going to Platunam by taxi stuck in the inevitable rot dtit and you've just shown me a much easier way. If I'd known this I could have saved so much time. :-)
    Probably won't use it coming from the airport as I usually get off at Payathai but very useful all the same. You don't know any short cuts from Payathai to Sanaam Luang do you? ;-)

#17 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 20:27

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Hi again,

After an early afternoon touchdown i ended up taking the (yellow) express line to Phaya Thai, and taxi from there from to KSR. Train ride is only 20 min with no stops and just 90 bhat. Very efficient, but a bit "sterile".

Thanks for the input all, and happy trails!

#18 Posted: 24/8/2011 - 11:38

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Sorry, I'm confused... I saw that trains from the airport only run from 19:00 - 19:22? Does that mean that a taxi is the only option after this time?

#19 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 01:46

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Sorry I just saw that there were buses to the skytrain, but they all seem to stop at 22:00 - Is there no 24hr bus?

#20 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 01:52

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Altmtl,

I am guessing that you are asking what are the transportation options to leave the airport after the skytrain stops operating.

AFAIK, taxis are your best option. I remember seeing some touts advertising the services of vans. However, their asking price was the same as a taxi fare and you have to wait until they filled the van with other passengers.

#21 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 21:33

• Prettyfish16

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2011
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 10

I just did this 2 weeks ago and having got the link to Phaya Thia was then directed to a local bus which took us FOR FREE to a bus stop a 10 minute walk away from KSR. Forgive me I can't remember the bus number but we were directed by locals who all seem to know the bus route, bus numbers (there are 3) and the fact that it's FREE !!

#22 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 13:40

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

The rail service in Bangkok stops running at midnight. Only 45 baht from the airport to Phaya Thai using the new Rail Link.. At Phaya Thai you can connect with the Skytrain. There are hotels you can walk to from Phaya Thai and from Ratchaprorop. Ratchaprorop has many hotels and lots of shopping not too far away.
    http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

A meter taxi from one of the last three stops on the Rail Link route to Sukhumvit or Siam is not that expensive using the meter.

There is a City Bus that leaves from the airport bus station. Some time during the evening those buses switch to smaller vans. There is not enough room on those vans for luggage unless you purchase additional seats for your bags. Late at night you will still have to switch to a taxi or Skytrain (if it is running) to get to your hotel.
    http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56

A meter taxi from the airport is door to door and not that expensive compared to Western countries. The fare you pay is for everyone not per person. This means that if there are 2 or 3 of you the price is the same.
    http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

#23 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 11:04

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I didn't know there were free shuttle buses from Phaya thai. What colour are they prettyfish and where else did they go apart from KSR? I've noticed that sometimes the old red buses are free in Bangkok (and sometimes not... I haven't managed to fathom out when or why yet!).

#24 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 15:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Taxi from Bangkok BKK Suvarnabhumi to DMK Don Muang & Khao San Road ... By adammcintyre on 27 Feb 2014 37 7808 29 Sep 2014
Best way to get Suvarnabhumi Airport to Khao San Road Bus Terminal after a late flight? ... By Knigel on 12 May 2011 9 9947 14 May 2011
Khao San Road ... By Amarusol on 9 Jan 2010 6 4313 24 Apr 2010
Khao San Road or Not? ... By adbeats06 on 3 Nov 2013 26 1762 10 Nov 2013
DMK Airport to Khao San Road ... By Vaishali on 29 Dec 2013 8 1348 30 Dec 2013
Khao San Road clean up ... By sambrown on 14 Oct 2014 10 942 19 Oct 2014
Khao San Road hotels ... By halongbay07 on 31 Jul 2009 7 5005 26 Apr 2010
Stayin Khao San Road Sunday Eve (1st May) ... By rob_lord_uk on 27 Apr 2010 2 1893 28 Apr 2010
Hotel in Bangkok - near Khao San Road ... By beckyflood81 on 20 Dec 2006 3 3716 21 Dec 2006
Best way to travel from BKK airport to the Khao San Road ... By PabloUK on 14 Aug 2011 35 16915 24 Jun 2012