Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Questions about 4week trip to Thailand

• jesse629

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

I got lots of questionsand have spent many hours finding answers on this wonderful site. Ill give someinfo and dive right into my questions.

4 weeks(september 1st -october 1st)
    budget of about 3000-4000USD after airfare.
    flying into BKk
    traveling alone 25yo male

Rough itinerary:
    2-3 days inbangkok/surrounding areas.
    12-16 days in northernthailand IE chiang mai and other provs
    10-12days in southernthailand IE islands and coastal provs

Weather
    questions based mostlyaround the time in southern thailand. im from western washington state in theus.. where its a temperate rainforest by definition. 200+ days of rain a year.mostly just drizzles for days on end.. so im not afraid of rain but idefinitely want to spend some time soaking up the sun, scuba diving, snorkelingetc. can you guys recommend a couple islands to spend the time on? im notafraid of crowds, noise, and alcohol, but I would like to see all the iconicbeauty and some of the not so known spots. I also had read that rain can causecancellations in tours up north, any validity to that?

Trekking/whitewaterrafting.
    this part is the mostimportant to me. i want to trek through thick jungles, climb through caves andwaterfalls, and raft whitewater rapids. im in excellent shape so that shouldntbe an issue. im definately interested in seeing elephants.. but shy away fromthe fake "zoo" like shows. ive read through reviews and researchedthe cities people recommend but im just curious if anyone has first handexperience with some amazing guides/tours. This is also the portion of the tripthat I have the least issues sending more money on.

Traveling.
    first and foremost illbeing flying from the northern thailand to the southern islands.
    id also like toexperience motorcycling through the forested hills of northen thailand. im anexperienced rider here in the states and mostly wanted to know if they have anybigger bikes available.. im used to 600cc+ crotchrockets and have never riddena scooter/moped. is it feasible in the monsoon season? And also I saw that thata ticket from Bangkok to chaing mai is pretty cheap. Is it worth it? Or should Itake the overnite train?

and one other randomquestion, would doing an ankor wat trip be a smart idea before heading north?im adament about experiencing the north and south.and figure i can hit it upnext trip if im lacking in time. im sure ill have more questions later :)

thanks!!

#1 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 09:41

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/september

The Surat thani area islands are your best bet Koh Tao/Phangan/Samui.
    Don't for get a trip to Koh Nang Yaun. Nice relaxing day. If you can find a boat to take you on your time not a group..better. Vist Ang Thong marine park! Beautiful. These may be the usual islands but Samui and Phangnan are big and most people on Samui don't get past Chaweng. Though there are AWESOME days on Chaweng in Sept as the crowds are down and the beach so relaxing in the am!

I have seen guys with big bikes in Chiang Mai. I see more guys with big dirt bikes and cruisers vs. crotch rockets but I am sure you can rent them all.
    http://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/renting-big-bikes-in-thailand

this is one spot for em. Wouldn't you want a baja type based on terrain? I am not the one to ask...I always rent the little cheap ****.

As soon as you get to Bangkok..and get acclimated. Go North. If that is your real desire do Angkor next time. Angkor is sooo worth it but if it is not your thing....
    Since you want the north more...go there and experience it. After decide if you wanna fly over to Siem Reap for a few days.
    Take the night train 2nd class sleeper. It is comfortable and it leaves about 6-7ish. it will save you a nite at a hotel and the plane fare. The fare you can use to fly to Cambodia if you choose.

#2 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 12:30

• jesse629

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2011

Thanks for the reply Thomas922, the islands you touched on were kinda what i had in mind. And ill be sure to check out the sites your recommended!

Also a good idea with the return flight from chiang mai to siem reap, i honestly hadnt thought of that.

And im going to check out the site on motorcycles on my lunch!

#3 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 02:21

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

The train was meant from Bangkok to Chiang mai... save on a hotel that night.

more bikes...http://www.chiangmai-motorcycle-rental.com/

On second thought flying to Siem Reap may not be so cost effective....

#4 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 10:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A Few Questions about a Trip to Thailand. ... By mjp08123 on 6 May 2011 2 1485 7 May 2011
Couple beginner questions for a month long trip through Thailand ... By Zima on 10 Feb 2011 11 3481 12 Feb 2011