Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tourist train to Kanchanaburi

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi,

Has anybody taken the tourist train to Kanchanaburi described http://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm#tourist railcar.

We are thinking of doing this trip but stopping at Kanchanaburi for a couple of nights. I know the strait trip only takes a couple of hours but this seems like a nice way to spend a day.

Any comments?

#1 Posted: 10/8/2011 - 18:10

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I've taken that train a few years ago. Not all the way from/to BKK but just a short ride for a few hours. Don't remember the full details. Just that we got on in Kanchanaburi with a group of friends, plenty of booze and good spirits. I think you can understand why I don't remember all the details.
    Wonderful ride through scenic landscape. Not sure though if I would want to be in those seats for a very long time.

We only drove for 2 hours and then got picked up again as a part of a "stag party". Can not help much more but those 2 hours were great for sure.

#2 Posted: 10/8/2011 - 20:27

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's great. Far better than taking the bus. The bus is faster, but the scnerey is pretty bland/awful, especially between Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom.

Plus, the train station in K-buri is a lot closer to most of the guest houses than the bus station. You can walk to quite a few very good ones on the river in about 10 minutes.

Easy to get to and from the Thonburi Railway Station, too.

#3 Posted: 10/8/2011 - 21:28

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thank you both for your replies. Looks like we will definitely give it a go. Can't wait -- we will be on the train on Saturday week (20th).

#4 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 04:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tourist mauled at Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi ... By somtam2000 on 30 Aug 2013 8 1716 31 Aug 2013
The train to Kanchanaburi ... By LancasterLad on 31 Oct 2008 1 2608 2 Dec 2008
Train to Kanchanaburi ... By chrispyrolls on 26 Aug 2008 3 2908 26 Aug 2008