Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Im in Bangkok!

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Finally arrived in Bangkok late last night and found it all abit scary, I'm in Siam square just next to the MBK and would like to no were is good to get a meal/eat(good street vendors) and visit close by, I have my lonely planet travel guide but everything is so much harder than I thought it would be and I'm rather excited to get out if Bangkok and into chiang mai ha

Also ive bought a truemove sim card and a top up voucher from a 7/11 and I'm in my room tryin to top the sim with credit, failing miserably. Little help?

#1 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 16:14

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Happy Queens Birthday! It's a long weekend for many Thais and transport is very busy. Wait until monday then get a sleeper train up to Chiang Mai. You will feel quite relieved with the peaceful vibe up north and then figure out your phone issues, get perspective, etc. Kinda busy up here now but we'll light a candle and wait for you (insert smiley face)

#2 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 16:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Umm recommending a particular food vendor in Bangkok is a teeny bit difficult! They move about and even change during the day.

The easiest thing would be go to the food court in MBK. There's a posh food court and a cheaper one (or two) in there but I can't remember what floor they are on ...somewhere on the upper floors and there are signs in English so you should be able to find it.

Practically every shopping mall or big supermarket has a food court with lots of different different dishes and the prices are about the same price as street food. Food courts usually work with a voucher system (not cash) so you need to buy vouchers at a booth near the entrance of the food court. Ask for 100B (loy baht) worth of vouchers and then wander around, checking out at all the different food on offer and choose something you fancy. When you've finished eating go back to the booth and redeem any vouchers you haven't used for cash.

For your sim card woes, go to the nearest 7/11 and ask if they can help you top up your phone credit...or ask at the reception of your guesthouse!

#3 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For very easy Thai food cross the road to Paragon Department store, go downstairs and there is a massive food hall. The food is good, and while not the cheapest foodhall in the Kingdom it isn't over the top and there are plenty of signs in English etc.

I'd start there :)

#4 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:18

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the quick replies! Ha I've been told about the queens birthday by a nice taxi driver! I've already booked my sleeper train to chiang mai for tomorrow, why Monday is tomorrow a bad idea?

That's sbe I've been in MBK I was surprised of the size of it inside! I noticed the food court they look very complicated for someone who doesn't speak Thai but I'll give them a try tonight! Also I haven't seen street vendors selling noodles, curry etc, just sticks with meat on do they even have sellers like that?

#5 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:21

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS. You asked about places to visit that are nearby too. Very nearby where you are is Jim Thompson's house... (look at your LP map). When you walk down the small soi (street) leading to his house the incessant deafening traffic noise suddenly ceases...it's quite amazing. Jim Thompson's house and garden are quite interesting too.

And you can go to the Chatuchak weekend market easily from Siam Square. Just hop on the skytrain and get off at Mochit station and then follow the hordes to the market. The WE market is a bit less relaxing than Jim Thompson's House because it's usually very crowded but it's quite interesting as they sell everything under the sun there. The first time I went there I got lost in the pets section for about 2 hours!

Or, if you want to see some temples get on the skytrain at MBK and go to the Saphan Taksin stop. From there you can jump on a river boat and go and see the Grand Palace, Wat Po and Wat Arun (the latter is on the other side of the river but there are very cheap ferries than cross over there from the Wat Po stop)

#6 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:41

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Re the food question. I don't know that area too well...I found an amazing place to eat between Siam and Chitlom (I think) once...on the same side of the road as the Paragon. It was a bunch of excellent foodstalls and frequented only by Thais and very hidden down an easily missed tiny alley off the main road. The food was dirt cheap and really good and it was within spitting distance of all the posh department stores if I remember right but I can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was! You'll just have to do some intrepid exploration on your own tomorrow. :-)

#7 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:53

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it I'm going to get ready and try some food because I don't fancy living on mcdonalds for 4 months!

SBE I'm going to give the grand palace a visit tomorrow before my evening train to CM it sounds easy enough to get to, am I right in thinking there is a decent zoo in Bangkok

#8 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:56

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Edit...again. (Sorry I'm multitasking here). Wouldn't bother with the zoo. There's one in CM too anyway.

#9 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 17:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE

#10 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 11:34

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You will find food courts in malls (even some office buildings too) where you will find lots of stuff to eat at cheap prices.

You will find small lunch counters in some supermarkets like Foodland, Tops and some newer Villa Markets. These lunch counters will have Asian and Western dishes.

Some cheap hotels also have morning breakfast buffets open to the public. Breakfast is usually a cheap meal in Thailand unless you are only looking at expensive places.

When you do not know what to purchase for your meal you can always survive on good old fried rice! With or without any meat!

You can also purchase instant coffee (I like Birdy Brand) that has cream and sugar already in the little bags. Maybe 40 baht for 10 bags. You can also purchase sliced bread and cold cuts and make sandwiches. Pick up some instant noodles, some brands even come with a plastic bowl.

On the road I always travel with a small immersion heater that I use to boil water, one cup at a time. Good for coffee, tea and instant soup. Looks like this but often even cheaper.
    http://www.toolboxsupply.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=10621603&source=GoogleBase

You won't starve in Thailand unless you want to!

#11 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 23:49

• Shaneo88

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2011
    Location United States

Im in bangkok right now in the koh san area! for a new traveler, this seams to be the place because the transition is easy from western to eastern ways. Plenty of backpackers and people travelling to give you a hand. Let me know if you head to the area as i will be there until wed or thursday next week. Good Luck!

#12 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 00:22

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

Where abouts are you staying there and how much is it? How you finding it overall? Daunting/exciting?

Have fun!

#13 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 19:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.