Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

To buy or not to buy?

• ohaileagain

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2007

Hi,

I want to get a digital camera for my travels & was wondering whether or not i should wait until i get to Bangkok to buy it or get it in the UK. In summary:

- Will it be cheaper to buy it in Bangkok? &
    - Will they have the type i want (Cybershot 10.1 mga pixel)

Many Thanks

Peter.

#1 Posted: 2/2/2007 - 22:36

• Advertisement

• carycary

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It won't be much if any cheaper in Bangkok. Plus there is always the issue if you have problems with it. Best to buy from someone that help you if you need it later. I went to Bangkok expecting great deals on electronics, there are deals out there but mostly for illegal stuff, pirated software and the like. Check out Pantip Plaza for all the electronics when you get there to see if you made a good decision. Plus Pantip is a cool place to check out. Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 08:04

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I strongly agree with carycary's advice. It is a better idea to buy your equipment at home before heading out on your trip. That way you'll not only have your local shop's in-store guarantee, as well as the manufacturer's, but you'll also have time to 1) play around with it and get used to it, and 2) see if there is anything wrong with it so that you can take it back to get another if necessary.

Also, you'll have it when you arrive and won't be wasting precious eating and photography time in a stupid shopping mall. Believe me, transport to and from the malls, as well as time spent in them, can add up in a big way.

#3 Posted: 6/2/2007 - 02:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I just came across this good round-up on buying a digital camera in Thailand on TravelHappy. May be worth a read.

#4 Posted: 6/2/2007 - 07:34

• ohaileagain

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2007

Thanks folks, very useful comments.

#5 Posted: 6/2/2007 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.