Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Islands?

• kristoph

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2011

Hey guys, would really appreciate some advice. I am travelling to Thailand on December 28th with 3 friends for 3 weeks and want to know which are the must see islands in the Andaman. Only place on our list so far is phi phi, love a mix of partying, chilling out on an amazing beach and more secluded spots, general were just into good vibes & good people. We do really want to stay in beach huts on the sea so any tips for that would amazeballs. I have been told Koh Tao is a must, any advice from you guys on where to go & stay would be great...if your there around the same time first round is on me :)

Keep living the dream people

Kristoph

#1 Posted: 14/8/2011 - 23:23

• Advertisement

• kiwigirlnz

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

Hi,
    We went to Koh Ngai, Koh Kradan, Lanta and Lipe.
    Here goes what we thought when we were there late Dec.
    Koh Ngai - we stayed at Chateau Hill resort on a promotion they had going, it was the best place we stayed at in Thailand. It is very relaxed here and not really a party scene. It has great snorkelling and beautiful sunsets from the beach as well as about 8 restaraunts all joint to the resorts. It is a good base to do day trips to Koh Muk (Emerald Cave- which was my best day in Thailand), Koh Cheuk etc for snorkeling, but is definitely not a party island.
    KOh Kradan - The most secluded, peaceful and w not many tourists. It was also the prettiest island I thought. The tour boats come for an hour or so but not many and the rest of the time there was about 10 other people on the stretch of beach. It also has better snorkelling than the other 3 islands, but only 2 or 3 restaraunts and only a couple of overpriced places to stay. However we thought it was still great as it is so beautiful, peaceful and great snorkelling. Can also do day trips from here the same as at Ngai - we were the only ones on the longtail boat which came w a driver and guide (from Kradan Beach Resort).
    Koh Lipe - Nice island, ok snorkelling off beach and a huge range of places to stay/restaraunts/bars. More of a party scene but I didn't think it was that crowded (although you may think so after going to Ngai and Kradan). We got the fastboat (Tigerline) from koh Ngai to Lipe on which half the passengers were vomiting and it was pretty rough, with half the trip in the dark! So I would recommended going buy bus and then out from a port closer to Lipe.
    Koh Lanta - as many accomodation places and restaurants as Lipe but spread out so far less crowded, however no white sand beaches, less clear water and no decent snorkeling. It is however far easier to access and only a short car ferry ride.
    Overall I would say Ngai or Lipe as they have a mixture of beauty, snorkeling and facilities. However if you want seclusion, and the most romantic/peaceful place I would go to Kradan.
    Hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 08:59

• kiwigirlnz

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

Also - there are beach huts on all islands! Just depends which island sounds best for you.

#3 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 09:00

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Koh Tao is not on the Andaman, it is on the Gulf.

Also try Ko Kho Khao, Ko Prathong, Ko Chang and Ko Payam. These are all located further north in Phang Nga and Ranong provinces and are much less busy than those further south.

#4 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 09:24

• skbxb6

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011

Hey Kristoph-

I'll also be in Thailand Dec. 28th for 3 weeks and am wondering the same thing... which islands would experienced travelers recommend? I'll be traveling with my cousin for a few days in the very beginning and very end of my trip, but in between I'll be solo, hopefully meeting friendly folks along the way. If you'd like to be in touch about which spots you plan on visiting, we can exchange emails and maybe even try to meet up when we're there.

Happy Travels-
    Samantha

#5 Posted: 27/8/2011 - 12:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.