Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bangkok airport to bus station connection time

• charterboy22

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2006

Hey, I am trying to land in bangkok a little after 4 and make it to the southern bus station in time for a bus south to krabi, trang, phuket etc. which at the latest leave at 7. So first, I am wondering if we will have enough time to make it to the bus station and second if these buses are so incredibly popular that their will be no seats left by the time we get there. We will be going on a saturday night. Any advice anyone has for this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 3/2/2007 - 21:43

• Advertisement

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

I'd say it's real tight.

The southern bus terminal, from Bangkok central itself, is already something like an hour away. Moreover with the interminable traffic of the evenings (not just weekend evenings — any evening) in Bangkok, you can imagine what Sat night would be like.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 00:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just to second skinny, very very very tight. You won't be out of the airport before 5, which leaves you two hours to cover about 50km across Bangkok -- a city not known for it's free flowing traffic! Look into a budget flight down to Krabi with Nok Air or AirAsia, once you factor in the cost of the trans-city cab it won't cost you much more for the airfare...

#3 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 12:24

• charterboy22

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2006

Hey, thanks for the help. Since it seems like the bus is not the best option we are looking at others. We are in total 6 people, we are trying to keep costs down and would like to make that trip during the night. We are looking at the trains but if we are not able to do that is it possible or affordable to hire a private minivan to make the trip south during the night?

In previous travels I have often found there will usually be private drivers hanging around bus stops and train stations and with a group its relatively inexpensive to hire them for the day. Is this also the situation in Bangkok?

#4 Posted: 5/2/2007 - 18:56

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

I don't believe you will be able to easily find someone hanging around to take you to the southern bus station, even if you were coming from bangkok central instead of the airport. If you've ever been to Bangkok central in the evenings, you'd know how HORRID the traffic is. I haven't seen anything quite like it (Even the worst metropolis cities in India don't compare).

As somtam says, you'd be out of the airport around 5. I'd be surprised if you can even get towards the city proper in an hour and a half. Do look into nokair.com, airasia.com, 1-2-Go airlines for cheap flights to Krabi if you need to get there the same day (1-2-Go has flights at approx 1700B incl. taxes). Otherwise I imagine you'd have to stay a night in Bangkok.

Maybe you can think about taking a train. There's a train leaving Bangkok's Hualamphong at 10.50pm. It doesn't get you to Krabi, but you'd be in Surat Thani by 8am. From Surat Thani you can either go to Koh Phangan/Samui, or take a bus to connect you to Krabi from Surat Thani (this takes 3 hours). At least you'd definitely catch the train, have a place to sleep for 10 hours (rather than bus-sing it), and reach Krabi just a few hours later than taking the Bangkok-Krabi bus would.

#5 Posted: 6/2/2007 - 19:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Charter,

I didn't want to comment earlier because I haven't flown into the new airport yet so I don't have a good idea how long getting through the airport takes and what the specific traffic in that area might look like. The others are spot on however that traffic in the city that time of night will make it very difficult to get to the southern bus terminal in any reasonable amount of time.

I also know that I really don't like the overnight buses and recommend that people avoid them. I've seen too many of them by the side of the road or worse. Skinny and Somtam are also spot on by recommending that you either make it a quick and easy trip by flying (and not too expensive either) or an adventure by taking the overnight train out of Hualamphong. Have a good trip. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 7/2/2007 - 03:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station connection ... By sashanyc28 on 1 Jan 2010 8 13765 11 Jul 2010
Connection time at Don Mueang Airport ... By mmoody on 15 Jan 2014 4 302 15 Jan 2014
how is the local bangkok airport city connection? ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 5 1875 13 Dec 2010
Adequate time for connection flight using Air Asia (Bangkok)? ... By joenerf on 9 Sep 2011 8 5327 11 Sep 2011
Hanio Station to Airport Transit Time ... By basejump on 24 Jan 2009 2 1842 31 Jan 2009
How do I get from the airport in Bangkok to the Bus Station? ... By LizzieR on 26 Mar 2008 13 5284 26 May 2008
Time/Price between Bangkok a/p and Train Station ... By erinj on 27 Aug 2007 2 1709 27 Aug 2007
Hualumpong train station Vs. Bangkok Airport for storage? ... By translasian on 21 Aug 2006 0 2294 21 Aug 2006
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 7 28273 19 Jun 2013
How much time for transfer in Bangkok Airport? ... By ejiana on 4 Jun 2006 2 2403 5 Jun 2006