Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lost my passport money and Bank card..

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Other than that everything is going smoothly haha.

I've been to the tourist police and filed a report have to go back tomorrow, any one no how much it costs at the embassy and how long it takes to get a new one?

#1 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 11:29

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

People can help much better if you mention your nationality/embassy.

I hope for you that you have all the details still with you like bank card number, passport number and so on. That will speed up the process a lot. Most embassies will provide temporary documents for onward travel.

good luck

#2 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 13:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Oh that sucks! And I do know how it feels as I lost my wallet Singapore on Day 1 of my 5 month trip. Lost over $100, my credit card and EFTPos card. Fortunately I was carrying spare cards to a secondary account that I was able to use as backup until my replacements arrived.

I know you were having a rough start a few days ago just after your arrival. Don't let all this put you off. Just look at it as part of the experience - it all adds to the stories that you get to tell later.

#3 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 16:16

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

If there's a copy of your passport around that will help a lot.

I know an American this happened to... ME!

You can read my story if you want. What you'll notice is that there's a lot of waiting to be done...

http://www.jaredscambodia.com/blog/category/i-lost-all-my-sht/page/3/

'sheeed

#4 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 16:34

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Oh yeah, sorry I'm British and yeah I make photo copies of my passport so that's a bonus I suppose but not of the card but I've had that cancelled back home and the money transferred to my bankup bank card,

I'm not to bothered as it's all an experience though I'm a bit pissed cos there was a £200 in it which no doubt would come in handy toward the end of the trip as I'm on a budget as it is also I now have to use a bank card which is a nightmare for charges where as the card I lost was a Caxton fx were only the ATM charge was taken, just can't wait to get it sorted cos it's going to put a spanner in the works waiting for passports in bangkok when I don't really want to be there.

I'll give it a read now sheed

#5 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 16:43

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Cool. It's a day-by-day so you have to read a lot about me watching Aussie rules while I wait.

Anyway, good luck. I needed to use my photocopy and a letter from the embassy for a Western Union to give me money. Money that I used to buy a new passport. Generally it went smoothly. Did take about 3 weeks for all to get sorted including getting new bank cards.

'sheeed

#6 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 16:54

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Happened to me too a few years ago and the British Embassy in Bangkok was useless ... but every other UK embassy I've ever had dealings with when abroad has been utterly useless compared to other embassies too so I wasn't really surprised.

The consulate in BKK didn't even pick up when I called them after my passport was stolen, even though I called during office hours. It then took them over a month to issue me with a replacement passport... even though they'd told me it would take about two weeks

On one of my visits to ask if my passport was finally ready yet, I saw they were charging people who needed to travel urgently 4000B for a bit of paper with a stamp on it that was only valid for one voyage. A proper passport cost about 7000B at the time so it was a right rip off!

Unfortunately our embassy is not actually interested in helping British citizens abroad, just in making as much money as they can out of them. In order to cut costs they now have regional centers for issuing passports and the nearest one to you is in Hong Kong... so god knows how long it takes to get a new passport now.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=PressR&id=644886282

I've just had to get a new passport (from the embassy in Paris) because although my old one was valid till 2017 it was full and the Brits don't add extra pages like some countries My new passport cost me almost 200 quid! You can no longer go and pick it up at the embassy either. Instead they charge extortionate rates for sending it to you. This fee is automatically incorporated into the cost of the passport renewal and it's WAY more than it would cost if you paid for registered delivery yourself. Anyway, that was a simple renewal and took about 3 weeks. It usually takes a bit longer when the passport is stolen or lost because they have to "investigate" the circumstances.

Do you have insurance that would cover this Potta? What a shame to start your vacation with a disaster like this! Is it too nosey to ask how you lost your stuff? It might help others avoid the same thing happening to them. :-(

#7 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 18:02

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Haha SBE, well that's made me feel a whole lot better about the situation, not only is it goin to cost me a fortune it's going to take forever to be issued! What happens because I'm in kanchanaburi now til sunday then I'll travel bak to Bangkok sunday morning and was planning on going to the embassy to sort it then jump in the train that evening to go down to Surat Thani and do the islands for a few weeks including Phuket and phi phi is this going to be possible or am I going to have to stay in bangkok and be in touch with the embassy?

#8 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 19:17

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Oh yeah and it was my own stupid fault... I had a money belt and it was annoying me cos I was hot and sweaty gettin angry as you do so I took it off put it on the back seat of my taxi beside me, get to Bangkok noi station get on my train to kanchanaburi, oops we're is my money belt!

#9 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 19:21

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You're in Kanchanaburi? I thought you were heading to Chiang Mai after your gourmet meal at MBK?! Yes loss of stuff is usually your own fault rather than someone breaking into your room or something. That's why getting drunk is when you're at the highest risk of things going wrong... you tend to be even more careless when pissed. (I'm speaking from personal experience here) ;-)

You'll have to stay in Bangkok till Monday evening to go south I fear. The British Consulate never works outside office hours for piddling stuff like lost passports. It closed down completely for weeks on end after the 2004 tsunami because the extra work would have interferred with their tennis/polo matches/cocktail party schedules. That's my theory anyway!

#10 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 19:51

• Advertisement

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thankfully I've stayed sober so far other wise I might be filling out a missing persons report for my girlfriend, yeah I went to chiang mai but only stayed 3 nights so giving kanchanaburi a try now, am I moving around too much?

Oh great just what I wanted to hear another night in Bangkok, not! Think I might have to stay here till Monday then, I could get back Saturday but plan to do some treks and what ever Saturday cos tomorrow I have to go back to the police in the afternoon so tomorrow is wasted and I only did the zoo in chiang mai and markets thought kanchanaburi would be better for treks.

Hope things start working out for me soon :(

#11 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 20:54

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I hope it doesn't take too long to get it all sorted out. What kind of visa have you got?

If you get fed up with Kanchanaburi and decide you want to go back to Bangkok on Sunday, you could always go and see the famous Chatuchak weekend market.

Another option you might enjoy is the Taling Chan floating market which is also only open at the weekends.

I did a write up about the latter ages ago with detailed instructions how to get there cheaply by bus. Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/bangkok

(Sorry, the photo link doesn't work any more because my Flickr pro account ran out and only my 200 most recent photos show now).

I think you might quite enjoy Taling Chan if the weather is OK on Sunday. Although the prices I quoted may be a little bit higher now, it would still be a pretty cheap day out. It's a great place for trying out Thai food especially if you like things like BBQed giant shrimps and fish. The food gets freshly cooked on the barges and many Thais go to eat there at the weekend so it gets quite busy around lunch time even though not that many foreign tourists go there.

The other good thing about Taling Chan are the inexpensive boat tours leaving from there at regular intervals during the day. (It's easy to find where they leave from because it's only a small market). The tour lasts about 2 hours and takes you down various canals past orchards and local people's houses. You stop and visit a temple or two and also an orchid farm... very peaceful and relaxing compared to the streets of Bangkok. Central Bangkok is only an hour or so away but it feels like you're out in the countryside, no car traffic, just boats. On Sundays they do a longer boat tour (about 3 hours) too that takes in a snake farm .... that might interest you as you like zoos! I saw monitor lizards and snakes swimming in the canals too and lots of butterflies.

#12 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 05:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Man, that sucks. I am sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for you. I'll bet the girlfriend is giving you hell now!

On a side note, I do have to say that the American Consular services in Bangkok are the best I have encountered anywhere in the world. No long waits (for Americans - blows if you're Thai), pollite service, things are done on time with minimal hassle. So much better than Frankfurt I can't even begin to tell you. Of course, this doesn't help Potta much I am afraid.

#13 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 11:21

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Don't suppose any one has the number for bangkok noi station, that's were the taxi dropped me off and they said they would hold on to my passport if the taxi driver handed it in.

Oh and SBE I bought a 60 day double entry visa before coming, suppose when I get a passport I'll have to pay for that again?

#14 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 17:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Potta
    What is Noi station? Is that a taxi service center? If so, I will try and have my wife find it through information and track it down for you.

#15 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 18:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

MADMAC,

Bangkok Noi is the name of the train station in Thonburi where the train to Kanachanaburi departs. It isn't all that far from the Khao San area. Nice little station. That would be super friendly of you and your wife to help track down that telephone number for potta_boro. Cheers.

#16 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 19:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Potta

Can't help with the phone number but I have got a wee glimmer of good news regarding your visa! :-) When my passport got stolen it had a non immigrant B visa in it (I didn't have a tourist visa as I was working in Thailand at the time) and that got replaced free of charge at the immigration offices in Bangkok once my new passport had been issued. They used up a whole page with a special stamp and scribbled some explanations in Thai ... takes a couple of hours to sort out.

What you may find is that every single time you enter or leave Thailand from now on your passport will be flagged at immigration and a supervisor will get called over to OK it. This only happens in Thailand though. The fact that your previous was stolen/lost doesn't seem to be on the database of immigration in any other country ... not even the UK!

#17 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 20:15

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers mac really appreciate the help off everyone means alot!

Thought my luck was changing this morning the nice lady at my guest house knocked me up this morning with a big smile on her face saying I had to go back to the police they have my passport, so my face lit up went straight down.. What she meant to say was I had to go back to the police station regarding my passport! :(

#18 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 21:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Potta
    E-mail me at madmac572@yahoo.com. I'll call first thing in the morning.

#19 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 22:11

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

Wow that must suck I can picture me doing something like that just about my luck tbh

As long as you have photocopies you can still get about ok? Don't literally have to spend the entire time sat some where waiting for it to arrive.

#20 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 00:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK I sent you a note hombre. Check your email.

#21 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 16:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What's the best Canadian bank to use to manage money in SE asia? ... By Handsome_Boy on 10 Sep 2009 13 9884 18 Jan 2010
LOST SD CARD ... By RACHYPF on 11 Feb 2010 1 1655 2 Jun 2010
Withdraw large amounts of money at bank counter, not ATM ... By CPatrick on 14 Jul 2012 5 4469 31 Aug 2012
emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures ... By sayadian on 14 Apr 2012 2 2120 14 Apr 2012
Bank key card quistion... cirrus? ... By jadeox on 5 Nov 2007 1 3413 7 Nov 2007
Lost SD memory card Ko Phangan Haad Rin ... By tschef997 on 23 Aug 2013 0 804 23 Aug 2013
Canadian bank card (Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos) ... By grace88 on 22 Jul 2011 1 3825 23 Jul 2011
which bank have lowest surchage for cash withdraw by visa credit card ... By sandyyou on 20 Apr 2007 0 2620 20 Apr 2007
Help - my mate has lost their russian passport (actually it was stolen) ... By PeterW on 15 Feb 2012 1 2513 16 Feb 2012