Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Smoke in Chiang Mai

Posted by kara_12 on 21/8/2011 at 10:33

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if the last week of Feb is a good time to travel to Chiang Mai (23-27th)? Is the smoke bad at this time?
If so, if the first week of April a better time to go?

Thanks

#1 kara_12 has been a member since 7/8/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by MADMAC on 21/8/2011 at 14:26

The smoke? Do you mean from the burn season? The effects of the smoke from the burn season are small enough as not to be consequential unless you have very sensitive lungs.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by kat_thailand on 22/8/2011 at 20:34

february is a very good time to visit chang mai... it is considered the cool season with very low rain (average 1day per month) and not too hot temperatures (you may even need a light jacket in the evening)

try to avoid April or May as it can be almost unbearably hot and humid

#3 kat_thailand has been a member since 10/8/2011. Posts: 6
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 23/8/2011 at 00:15

Ket
Good advice, until you got to the following:

"try to avoid April or May as it can be almost unbearably hot and humid"

It is never unbdearably hot or humid in Thailand. It just doesn't get that hot or humid here.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by kat_thailand on 23/8/2011 at 15:53

well i'm thai and i can assure you that sometimes it's pretty hot and humid in here :-)

but of course that's very subjective... i just assumed that for a western visitor April/May would be too hot especially if she's planning some treks

#5 kat_thailand has been a member since 10/8/2011. Posts: 6
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 23/8/2011 at 16:55

I guess having lived for a couple of years in Africa and Saudi, I don't see Thailand as all that hot. One day in the Ogaden, it reach 55! It was roasting.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.