Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Road Trip KL-Hat Yai-Phuket, wasting time?

• inge_75

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2011

Hi! I'm planning for a trip to Phuket next February, planning to take flight from Changi, Singapore, 2 ways, but my backpacker partner prefer to take flight on way back only, and try bus KL-Hat Yai-Phuket.
    Are we wasting our holiday on road trip?

More question, What to do in Phuket?
    I'm thinking stay 2 night at koh phi phi, snorkeling at maya bay, cabarets, parties, foods, any other interesting activities to do in 5 days?

Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 24/8/2011 - 22:14

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Phuket to Hat Yai by bus... 6 to 8 hours
    Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur by bus... another 6 hours
    Kuala Lumpur to Singapore by bus... another 4 to 6 hours (depending how busy the border is)

Unless you actually want to stop and see these places along the way, you should definitely fly. If your friend wants to see *some* of the countryside by road, you can even fly Phuket - Kuala Lumpur or Hat Yai - Singapore (Tiger Airways).

#2 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 10:49

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I agree. You are wasting time if you do not want to actually see these places. But it also depends how long you are travelling for. If you have lots of time then go for it.

I believe that you can also get a train from KL to Hat Yai.

#3 Posted: 27/8/2011 - 09:24

• inge_75

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2011

Thanks guys for the kind response!

We're thinking will take bus to go to Phuket through KL and Hat Yai then fly back home :)
    I think we will enjoy the trip, and some say the bus is nice.

I'll hunt air ticket then, now :)

#4 Posted: 27/8/2011 - 22:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I think we will enjoy the trip, and some say the bus is nice."

That's the first time I've seen "nice" and "Bus" in the same sentence. Six hours in any kind of transportation that's not a motorcycle isn't working for me personally. I'd fly straight through, since the cost is likely a wash.

#5 Posted: 29/8/2011 - 02:29

• inge_75

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2011

Hahaha! then you're a true motorbike rider, MADMAC!

Yet eventually I also choose to fly.

#6 Posted: 29/8/2011 - 18:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good call hombre.

Yeah, I like to ride.

#7 Posted: 29/8/2011 - 19:24

• firdhaus

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Hello inge_75 and everyone,

This is my first post and i found this thread from google-search :)

I just came back from thailand where it was started with flight from KL to Bangkok and it was ended with road trip from Surat Thani-> Krabi->Hatyai->KL. This was happened during mid of july. reason why i chose to use land rather than air because I'm unable to book an air ticket since my trip was a very last minute, totally unplanned.

So let me tell you, if you from singapore, you could consider direct bus from singapore to haatyai but i'm not sure how long hours you gonna spend in the bus, but from KL to hatyai, approx about 8-10 hours. I would advise you to take an overnight bus and at least you can arrive in hatyai during afternoon time. My july trip, i pay RM40(400BHT) for Hatyai -> KL for 9 hours trip.Trip from haatyai to phuket could consider pretty much similar like I did for krabi, I pay for BHT300 for 5 hours trip from Krabi.

So total Trip I pay for about 700BHT, spend about 16 hours (Krabi->Hatyai(5 hours)->Idle Time(2 hours)->KL(9 Hours).

Please take note, Hatyai is the place where tour operator very easy to locate same as any other part in thailand.

Lastly, what option do we have for our backpacker when the flight fares so expensive? but would you prefer to waste your whole day for a road trip journey when you still need to book a room to stay when there's no bus/minibus/van to take to your next route? If I were you, on the long vacay-tion, i would choose to go by land rather than air. I hope this will helps.

#8 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 14:34

• inge_75

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2011

Thanks firdhaus for the detail information!

So glad to know that it is very easy to find tour operator in Hat Yai .
    Do you think I should book in advance for Hat Yai-Phuket trip? If I take night bus from KL, I will reach Hat Yai in the morning, right?

Do you think the view is worth for road trip? hahahaa...

Are you sure there is bus service from Singapore to Phuket? I've googled for it, and can't find any helpful information.

#9 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 11:08

• firdhaus

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Inge_75, like i said, i took a bus from hatyai to KL it took about approx 8-10 hours, so consider sg-hatyai will take approx 12-14 hours? so if you take bus during 10PM to midnight you might reach hatyai afternoon. so you could straight away buy for mini bus ticket to phuket from tour operator.

You'll be spending most of your road trip in Malaysia PLUS highway, its only green view for you but i suggest you to bring together your ipod or your fav books(i dont suggest you read them if you take a overnight bus) if you cannot sleep in the bus.

I never said there's a bus from SG to Phuket. The option that i suggest is SG->Hatyai->Phuket

Good luck with your quest buddy.

#10 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 13:35

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.