Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok - Where to Stay

• Lbarb

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Hi Everyone,
    I know this topic was discussed a million times before... ive been through alot of discussions and still cant decide which is the best place to stay in Bangkok for a couple of nights. I would appreciate your input.

My boyfriend and I will be in Thailand in Dec/January and are dedicating the last 4 nights of our holiday to Bangkok. We will definately be shopping but would also like to see some thai culture. Would love to visit a market or two.

From what I gather...
    KSR - should be avoided - although personally would like to visit maybe for an afternoon just to experience it.
    SIAM - major shopping area - but no nightlife
    Silom - still not sure what to make of it
    Sukhumvit - good location but the nightlife may be to "cheesy" - we are a couple.
    River area - good location too but out of the sky train network.

Budget isnt an issue - we will be roughing it out for a month so spending something more on accomdoation while in Bangkok wont be a problem... Woule like to hear you opinion on which area you would recommend.

Thanks...

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 17:07

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Sukhumvit is a good choice.
    "River area - good location too but out of the sky train network"

There are a few stations near the river, and from there you can do a river boat ride to KSR - :)

#2 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 21:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I prefer Sukhimvite myself - up around Soi 20...

#3 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 23:00

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you want to check out the KSR Zoo, go at night and not in the afternoon. It's more interesting after dark.

If you want to check out the main temples (Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Wat Suthat, etc.) then the Banglamphu or Samsen areas would be most convenient as you can walk to all of them, or take the Chao Phraya River Express boat. You'll also be walking distance to the Flower Market and a few other good markets.

Not being close to sky train isn't a big deal and, as mentioned above, you can always take the Chao Phraya River Express Boat to the Taksin Bridge where there's a Sky Train station. The boat is fun, cheap, quick, and you get some great views of the city. Or, it's a quick cab or tuk tuk ride to one of the other Sky Train stations.

There is a lot less vehicle traffic in and around the riverside area than there is in most of the other backpacker spots. Plus, there's a really nice little park by the river alongside Thanon Phra Athit (Santi Chaiprakarn Park) which is great for relaxing in the shade and watching the boats and barges dodging each other out on the water. Thanon Phra Athit also has quite a few great, inexpensive eating places.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 02:46

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I stayed at Silom and I had a nice time. No...I did not waste my money at the red light district. If you are concerned about Silom because of Patpong, the red light district is limited to that area.

While Tilapia has a point that a BTS or metro station can be easily reached by ferry, cab, or tuktuk, I prefer being a short walk away to a station.

From a public transport point of view, Lumpini park area is convenient because there is a subway and skytrain station there. The river ferry can be reached by a short ride on the skytrain. So if you plan to use the subway and skytrain a lot, take a look at the lumpini park area.

#5 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 11:36

• Lbarb

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Looked into the area close to Lumpini park and liking the idea. Any idea of accomodation in the area... not more than 3000 THB?

#6 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 22:19

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're willing to fork-over B3000 for a room, check out the New Siam Riverside. You can get a riverview suite for that much, with a balcony, or a riverside deluxe room with balcony for about B2600.

http://www.newsiam.net/ns/cf/index.php#newsiam4

#7 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 22:32

• JRSB

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011
    Location United States

With a budget like that you can get some nice digs!

I agree with Tilapia that you should get a room with a view and balcony. Remember that with anywhere you choose cabs are always an option to get around - especially if not on a budget.

Me and my fiancee stayed on Sukhumvit for a few nights (soi 8, I think). We found the night life to be a bit... interesting. Many older foreigners with young Thai women... KSR gets old fast, but you should absolutely see it at night, at least once.

I say find the neighborhood and hotel you like best and take a cab to get around, if needed. Explore a bit and find what works for you before paying for all four nights.

#8 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 18:12

• Neilk61

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2011

Hi Lbarb

Did you decide on a Hotel? I'm in exactaly the same boat! staying for 1 night In November

Thanks

#9 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 16:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.