Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel advice SE Asia - Route and Transport

• Scott1987

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Hi,

I am trying to plan a trip to SE Asia for the start of October 2011 for 1 month. I am looking to visit Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam with a budget of around £1000GBP.

I fly into Bangkok so would be starting the trip there and would need to return to Bangkok in a months time.

I am a bit concerned about it being the rainy season is Laos and Cambodia safe enough to travel bus or mini bus at this time?

I am open to suggestions on places to visit or even places to avoid. I am trying to pack a lot in but don’t mind skipping out a few places if we start to run out of time.

The trip so far....

Arrive in Bangkok
    3 Nights in Bangkok
    Bangkok> ChiangMai
    2 Nights in Chiang Mai
    Chiang Mai > LuangPrabang
    4 Nights Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang >Hanoi (possibly flying)
    2 Night in Hanio
    Hanoi > Halong Bay
    2 Nights Halong Bay
    Halong Bay > Hanoi> (then flight to Hue)
    2 nights stay in Hue
    Hue > Hoi An
    2 nights stay HoiAn
    Hoi An > Nha Trang
    2 nights stay NhaTrang
    Nha Trang > Ho ChiMinh City
    2 nights Ho Chi Minh City
    Ho Chi Minh City >Phnom Penh
    2 Nights stay in PhnomPenh
    Phnom Penh > SeimReap including Angkor Wat
    4 Nights stay
    Angkor Wat >Bangkok
    1night Bangkok

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 21:54

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have said it before and I'll say it again (and so will others!) - 4 countries in 1 month is too much until you really do want a whirlwind tour.

Have you taken into account actual travel time to get between destinations? You effectively lose a day each time you move - so subtract that for your total days. That applies to flight days as well - by the time you get to the airport, check-in, wait, fly, customs, find hotel, etc, etc. You may be able to take overnight buses etc but I would think you need to build in a little bit of recovery time along the way.

At minimum, I would suggest cutting out two countries and aim for a quality time rather than focus on 'quantity'.

Given your time timeframe, forget Vietnam. But if you DO go there, then skip Nha Trang and Hue - and focu on the other main areas (you really want 3-4 nights in Hoi An, for example).

Alternatively, skip Chiang Mai and fly BKK-LP direct. Or skip LP altogether and fly Bkk -Hanoi.

Travelling time aside, your budget will be much higher too if you travel frequently, plus you will have extra associated costs such as departure taxes, visa fees, etc.

#2 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 03:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
One Month Cycling through SE Asia: Best Route Advice! ... By monkeymonkey on 16 Oct 2012 4 2505 19 Jan 2013
SE Asia Trip: Hong Kong, Thailand, Siem Reap, Indonesia - itinerary and transport advice please! ... By magalaya on 4 Apr 2013 2 1266 8 Apr 2013
Please help! Travel route advice needed ... By travelinchen on 28 Jul 2011 0 1873 28 Jul 2011
best route to travel in se asia ... By ctam2009 on 31 Jul 2009 16 20216 7 Jan 2014
SE Asia Travel route ... By KRStamm on 9 Apr 2009 1 3743 22 Apr 2009
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 2805 15 Jun 2013
transport/route info please!! ... By laallee on 19 Aug 2009 2 1003 19 Aug 2009