Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Staying at a monastery in Thailand

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

Has any one stayed at a monastery in Thailand? Are women also allowed to stay? Is it free of charge or you need to pay ? Any recomendations?

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 22:02

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What exactly do you want to do and why? That would help answer this.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 23:16

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

#3 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 23:49

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

I would like to do a course about buddhism and meditation because I am interested in it.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 23:13

• danceswithr-
    ose

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2010
    Total reviews: 6

I recently stayed in Thailand for 3 months - looking for what you are looking for. It doesn't seem to exist. The Wats purely cater for their own. If you want to meditate, you are reduced to open touristy temples where at one time I opened my eyes to a Japanese tourist busy clicking away at me meditating! There don't seem to be any courses to take and Buddhism in Thailand I'm afraid has gone downhill. In my opinion the better Buddhist centres are now in the West. I saw Buddhists hitting defenceless animals, smoking, chatting up woman, eating and sending for takeaways in the evenings when they are not supposed to be eating and the higher monks seem to walk around with loads of cash. I'm sure there are good ones but it has really gone downhill from when I first went to Thailand in the 70's. The government asked a lot of Buddhist temples to take on the large population of orphans, and there is where I think the problem may have started. When you have people that don't choose to be monks it can only go down hill from there.
    By the way I travelled all over, Phuket, Nong Khai, Sukhotai, Chiang Mai etc.

#5 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 05:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
staying in a monastery in SE Asia :) ... By soQQuadro on 3 Aug 2009 4 3907 11 Aug 2009