Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Homestays in Thailand

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

Is it possible to get acomodation in homestays in Thailand? If so, how can I contact them?

#1 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 22:48

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Isn't a homestay the same thing as a guesthouse?

In which case, check the guides on TF for the place you want to go and call a few numbers, or just walk around backpacker areas and check a few out when you arrive.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 13:07

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Like a guesthouse but with only one guest room or not many more. So not so much like a guesthouse. If that's what OP desires.

Mac will put you up.

#3 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 16:43

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

Homestays means staying with a family who charge you small fee for sleeping and breakfast, I heard some tourist do that in Laos.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 19:14

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

There's some website out there you can sign up on and get in touch with people happy to let you stay with them for free. Couchsurfers is the name, I believe. Don't think they have a huge presence in Thailand, but it might be worth checking out if that's your scene.

#5 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 11:57

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

Thank you CrankyCarrot! but couchsurfing works more in big cities like BKK rather than in rural places.

#6 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 21:42

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Ask the guy at http://cambodianhomestays.webs.com/. CD knows more about Cambodia than anywhere else, but maybe he has some ideas.

#7 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 22:23

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Homestays are all over the country. Some are advertised online, but most are not advertised at all. Is there anywhere in particular that you'd like to visit?

Amphawa has a lot of homestays on the canal and quite a few of them can be found online. Many of them look very nice, too.

#8 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 22:26

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

as #8 says, there are plenty of homestay options all over Thailand. have seen them even in small villages in Chiangrai & Nan province. while there is info available online (in fact there's a comprehensive directory with contact info + plenty of reviews on travel forums & reports on blogs), the bulk of it is in Thai language only. though if you Google homestay+Thailand, you'll still be able to find quite a few with info in English:
    http://tinyurl.com/3ve3l38
    http://www.tourismthailand.org/see-do/activities/search-result/activity/25/

#9 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 08:12

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

Thank you guys!

#10 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 22:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Noting what Tilapia said, language is an issue. If you want an "authentic" experience, like I have when I stay with my father in law, then you have to put up with a lot. Rural Thai homes, for the most part, are not paragons of comfort. You will sleep on a hard floor, eat lousy food that looks bad and smells worse, and you probably won't be able to communicate with anyone in the village until you learn Thai. That is the reality of the vast number of homes in Thailand. Not that they are unhappy. They are used to their lifestyle. My father in law thinks he's living the good life. And for him it is. But I have had to modify the house considerably to make it liveable for me. Of course that's taken 10 years, and I'm not done yet.

#11 Posted: 6/9/2011 - 09:43

• johnraami

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Thailand people are very friendly.Their hospitality is too good.The home stays arethe greatest way to experience their liveliness.Most places are hill tribe villages. There are many home stays in Thai hotel.You can just google on it. Have a good trip :-)

#12 Posted: 6/9/2011 - 21:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Just got back from my homestay at dads. The house was in it's usual state of clutter, the food was boring and sometimes just plain bad... but on the plus side, I got a lot of work done at the farm and had two excellent training sessions with my new pitbull terrier.

#13 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 19:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.