Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Yoga In Thailand (2)

• turbot

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2010

I saw the previous post about doing yoga in Thailand, but I guess what I want is a bit different - not much though.
    I am interested in a week yoga "holiday" - not an intense yoga retreat - where you maybe do two yoga sessions per day with lots of free time. The blooming lotus "retreat" looked a bit hardcore for me!
    I am very flexible where it is and am looking at doing this mid Jan 2012. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 23:10

• Advertisement

• danceswithr-
    ose

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2010
    Total reviews: 6

Enquire at a place called Mut Mee, Nong Khai, Northern Thailand. Its an accommdation place. They have a couple who work out of there teaching yoga. I'm not sure if it matches your requirements, but its worth a look. www.mutmee.com

#2 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 05:27

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

There are a number of Yoga centres on Koh Phangan that will allow you to take as many or as few classes as you want. The Sanctuary on Haad Tien, the Yoga Retreat near Haad Salad and the Yoga Studio on Thong Nai Pan Yai to name a few.

#3 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 09:08

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

I wrote my reply and then had log in issues but ....... I was also going to suggest Koh Phangan. I’ve done Agama yoga there but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking for. However there’s loads of yoga classes offered on the island so you could stay at a guesthouse/house and attend classes elsewhere. For example a friend of mine attended yoga classes at Sanctuary (which has a good reputation but is fairly pricey) but stayed at cheaper bungalows very close by. It worked for her.

#4 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 17:07

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

PS danceswithrose - I may give Mut Mee a go - in addition to the yoga, is it a nice guesthouse to hang out for a longer stay of up to a month?

#5 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 17:11

• JRSB

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011
    Location United States

I am actually writing from a volunteer stay in Chiang Rai. We are staying at the New Life Foundation. It may be way off for what you are looking for, but its a great experience.

We wake up and do yoga from 6 to 7 am and again a few times throughout the day -meditation as well. They teach awareness, mindfulness and appreciation techniques and the yoga can be quite advanced at times. You also do about 5 hours of farm work per day - and its hard work. This is why it may not be what you are looking for.

Its really comfortable however - the whole place is brand new. You get a fan room, three great meals per day and all the bottled water you can drink. I didn't come for the yoga or meditation but its quite a bonus. The guy who runs it was a monk for many, many years. He is from Belgium and the place attracts many yoga teachers who come from all over to help out teaching classes. Its quite a small and intimate community. Everybody speaks English too, which helps.

Again, Im not sure if that is what you are looking for but its a really great experience. If you are interested send me a PM (that goes for anyone) and I can answer any questions about it. I am just happy to send volunteers their way - its a really great place.

#6 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 17:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.