Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

ATMs

• nigatu

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2007

hi
    wondering whether it is possible to withdraw cash from thai atms if i have Maestro and MasterCard account in a european bank? are there plenty of atms around? how much is the comission?
    thank you

#1 Posted: 7/2/2007 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• GussieG

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2006

Generally speaking, yes. You would need to check with your bank regarding commission, as it varies bank to bank. Typically, they charge a percentage, with a minimum charge. It's therefore worth withdrawing relatively large sums in one go, rather than frequent small amounts, as you'll get hit for the minimum charge each time. They tend to apply the commercial exchange rate, however, which is better than the tourist rate at exchange booths. It's also worth notifying your bank before you depart that you're likely to be using ATMs in Thailand, as they sometimes block the transactions as a counter-fraud policy.

#2 Posted: 7/2/2007 - 22:33

• Loops

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

Something worth remembering too is that you should try to only use ATMs that are in the lobby of a bank if possible.

I had a situation (not in Thailand though, it was actually in Australia) where I used a lone ATM in a mall and it took my card. When I contacted the bank involved, they told me it wasn't their affair as it was a freelance company who owned, filled and serviced the machine.

So I've learnt from that and now I try to only use the bank lobby ATMs of whatever country I am in. But my Maestro card has always worked in Thailand so you should be OK.

#3 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 08:45

• walkingsuns-
    hine

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2007

Hi
    I don't know if u have already gone to thailand, but mastercard can be use almost anywhere. With Maesto you have to look for the logo, and as far as I know it's only on Bangkok Bank's atm. Before it was almost on every bank, but somehow there have changed it. The commision you have to check with ur bank. I ll advise u to take some bath with u. But if u r gonna change your euros or whatever, then use Kasikorn Bank, they have better rate. Some people may thing it's better to take US dollar, but it can be better to take Euro or GB Pound, cause they r more stabile.(I work as a currentcy trader, that's why I can't help looking at these kindna thing.)
    And if u use ur card then maestro will be best, because the commision is usually higher on mastercard.

#4 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 04:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.