Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Advice for Southern Thailand

Posted by ajr81 on 8/9/2011 at 22:24

I'm travelling to SE Asia for as long as I can until my money runs out or until I decide it's time to come home. I'm going out first at the beginning of December and then my girlfriend's coming out at the start of January.

So this is how I'm gonna spend the first month, spending a few nights in each place..

Bangkok
fly to Phuket
ferry to Phi Phi
ferry to Lanta
mainland Krabi (any ideas where to go and how to get there?)
train/bus to Surat Thani and over to Samui where I'll be meeting some friends
ferry to Koh Pha Ngan

My budget is 1000-1500 Baht per day, of which I want to spend around 500 baht on accomodation. I won't be drinking heavily and when I do i'll probably get loaded at the 7Eleven before hand. Obviously the budget doesn't include travel.

Do you think that's realistic?

Can anyone suggest places to stay within this budget, or as close as possible? I'm looking for party towns as well as picturesque quieter places.

Also, I was gonna head to Koh Pha Ngan for the Full Moon Party around the 9th Jan. Do you think it'd be quiet after the New Year? A guy I know who spent a few years on Koh Tao seems to think so. Would it be better to go for New Years Eve?

I know i've posted a lot of places here and I know any reply is gonna take some typing! So thanks for any help!!

#1 ajr81 has been a member since 8/9/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by ajr81 on 9/9/2011 at 00:03

Most of the places I see are 500 baht for a dorm room. Can I get a single?

#2 ajr81 has been a member since 8/9/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by Captain_Bob on 9/9/2011 at 16:32

1000-1500 baht will just cut it for high season on the islands but depends on specific location. Forget about looking for 500 baht places online, the vast majority of accommodation at that price level isn't advertised on any website nor can be booked in advance. You'll have a harder time meeting your budget on Phuket and Phi Phi (in high season) so take what you can get and then try to save on Lanta (still some cheap huts on the middle of Long Beach - Try the Funky Fish - or down at Khlong Jak Bay Bungalows) and check out Ton Sai beach (rock climber haven) near Krabi (between Ao Nang and Railay). The southern half of Ko Phangan (especially Had Rin) is insane for NYE and it will probably overshadow the Jan-9 FMP but you can always find a quiet corner on the northern half of the island. If looking to party then sure go hit Had Rin (and forget about sleeping) or to chill out try Bottle Beach, Chalok Lam, or Mae Had in the north. It's all good bro.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,818

Posted by ajr81 on 10/9/2011 at 07:42

Thanks for the reply.

I kinda figured that this leg of the trip will be by far the most expensive and for that reason I don't plan on staying in Phuket for more than a night or two. I figure my best bet is to find somewhere cheapish on Phi Phi and dig in for a few nights.

Can someone give me a link to and index page in the accommodation section. I can't seem to find a 'hub' on the site where I can easily browse accom in different places.

#4 ajr81 has been a member since 8/9/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/9/2011 at 15:28

Phi Phi accommodation here (Tara Inn and vicinity for cheaper options)
Railay accommodation here (East Railay and Tonsai have the cheaper places)
Etc.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,818

Posted by guava_girl on 13/9/2011 at 09:34

The New Years Eve party is the busiest of the year. The FMP following will still be busy as January is a very busy month on the island.

#6 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by tyler on 14/9/2011 at 01:34

Koh Lipe might fit for you. It might not be as laid back as it used to be but still a pretty cool vibe there. A good mix of accomodations. Large deep beach and you can watch the sun set every evening. Plenty of restaurants and bars along the beach and more away from it. No cars and a decent little walking street with shops and such.

#7 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by zaccolbert on 14/9/2011 at 18:10

Phuket is kinda expensive especially during high season, you'll probably be looking at least 700 baht for a night i think, check dorm rooms which are cheaper and often well kept, also a great way to meet people.

#8 zaccolbert has been a member since 14/9/2011. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.