Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ponganes Cafe

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

I'm a coffee lover from Portland, Oregon. I want real coffee but realize that it's often hard to find when on the road. If you're heading to Chiang Mai and need a real kick lovingly prepared by a serious barista, head to Ponganes Espresso in the old city about 5 minutes by foot from Tha Pae Gate. This cafe was opened by the owner and his girlfriend just 2 months ago. They do coffee, nothing more...maybe a free banana! The mocha is prepared with his own cocoa sauce and the little piccalo is the perfect balance of strong espresso and a dash of milk.

Info: 127/1 Moon Mung Rd Soi 5
    Chiang Mai
    Next to Baan Klang Vieng hostel
    T. [url=tel:087-727-2980]087-727-2980[/url]
    Www.Facebook.com/ponganeseespressobar
    Info: 127/1 Moon Mung Rd. Soi

#1 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 11:51

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There's a guy beside the KT Guest House, in the Huai Kwang area of Bangkok, who has a little street-side coffee bar with a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and beans from his uncle's organic plantation up near Chiangmai.

I have a Rancilio Silvia and nearly fell over when I saw his sitting on the counter. I was able to avoid Nescafe and Triple-Mix for, at least, a couple of days.

Thanks for the recommendation above.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 02:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

It isn't like the old days anymore when, like Tilapia says, you had your choice of Nescafe or Triple-Mix. There are some great coffees to be had travelling around southeast Asia and I don't mean Starbucks.

I've been to that hole-in-the-wall coffee bar Tilapia mentions right near the KT Guest House. It was fantastic, affordable, and the people who work there as nice as can be.

Another gem I discovered was Teacher Coffee in Kamphaeng Phet, in a little shack up past Three J Guest House and then maybe 300 meters to the left along the main road. Great coffee prepared just like the one mentioned by the OP.

#3 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 03:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.