Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand or Indonesia

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Just wondering how much money will a trip to Indonesia will cost me if I include Surabaya, Gunung Bromo, Lombok and Gilli islands in my itinerary. I had initially planned for a trip to Thailand, but the hordes of tourists, crowds and sleaze daunted me. Regardless, of a few negatives, Thailand is an awesome country to visit with a lot of stunning sights. But, I am looking for serene unspoilt seascapes and landscapes and I doubt that is feasible in Thailand. I asked a few backpacker friends of mine , who recently tripped to Thailand and Indonesia and they found Indonesia better and cheaper. Now, initially I decided on Southern Thailand for a period of 15 days. But, the crowds and seemingly exorbitant prices in places like Phi Phi deterred me. Now, I am in a great dilemma of choosing the right destination that my money and time can afford me. Please help me with your suggestions and opinions.

#1 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 18:23

• Advertisement

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

There are plenty of unspoiled seascapes in Thailand, but you won’t find them on Patong beach in Phuget or in the center of Phi Phi Don. Itis true that many of the more popular islands are vastly over touristed,expensive, and occasionally less than reputable, but for those who make the effort to look, there is a wealth of tranquil, secluded, beautiful shoreline with low prices and friendly locals. Even places like Koh Lanta, Koh Lippe, and the smaller Phi Phi islands are tourist friendly yet far less developed and crowded. I’m no expert on The South, but I do know of an excellent resource for finding the lesser visited and more secluded areas of Thailand… travelfish.org

As far as Indonesia goes, I don’t know much. I’ve heard many good things about The Gillis, but the more people I hear talking about it the more I’m led to assume that it’s not so sparsely touristed as some would have you believe…regardless, Indonesia has more total coastline than any other country in the world, so if you’re looking for beaches it seems like you can’t really go wrong in a place like that. But Thailand has some unreal topography, beautifully diverse culture, and very affordable beach destinations; it would be a shame to miss out on it all if you have the chance to see it.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 15:44

• Mikes01

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2011

thanks for adding me in your forum community...
    whistler season, ski season whistler

#3 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 16:03

• Moli

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hey..i will go to Thailand....that country is simply awesome...its cheaper than indonesia
    i speant 2 weeks island hopping in phuket, phi phi, koh samui and krabi and i would say
    that was the most fun holiday ive had.... thailand is cheap, people are so friendly and
    accomodating and its easy to go around......definitely thailand...... when are you planning to travel?

#4 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 16:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.