Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Rai

• YJotangia

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Can I get a flight from Chiang Rai Airport to Luang Prabang Laos. If so would I be able to book the flight whilst I am in Chiang Rai?

So far I am planning to go from Chaing MAI to Pai then to Chaing RAI then a flight into Luang Prabang.

I look forward to you responses
    Kindest Regards

Y

#1 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 07:39

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

no such flights. you'll have to fly from Chiangmai, or travel overland (a much much longer journey).

#2 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 07:50

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

I was just with two girls in chiang rai who were getting the coach to chiang kong, then the boat from there - so that's an option.

You'll have to go back through chiang mai anyway on your way to chiang rai, so if you're intent on flying to laos you could go to chiang rai first, then chiang mai, then pai, then back to chiang rai for the flight to laos. However, I know its very easy, pretty cheap, and doesn't take too long (at least, under a day) to just get a coach from chiang mai to laos anyway. Loads of ppl do it and just about every guesthouse in chiang mai sells tickets

#3 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 16:57

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

That's surely going to be a heavy and not particularly pleasant coach journey though? I thought from Huay Xai to LP it was already 14 hours - on pretty bad roads - then you've got Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (6+ hours?) and the border crossing to deal with. If you're going to go overland then the slow boat would break up the journey a bit. But if you've got budget to fly and are short on time, I'd fly from Chiang Mai.

#4 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 21:59

• YJotangia

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Thank you for your responses,

I have decided to fly in to Laos from Chiang Mai,

I have another question : I was advised that I should go to Vietnam, my initial itinerary routed me from Laos to Cambodia via Voen Kham/Stung Treng border.

However I have come to realise that I am better off going to Vietnam before Cambodia and i was wondering what the best route would be?

The last major destination for me in Laos is Don Det .

#5 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 00:38

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

What's prompted you to think you should go to Vietnam first? It depends where you plan to go in Vietnam and where you're going next, but I would say if you're going to be in Don Det it makes a lot more sense to stick to your original plan and travel into Cambodia first (Don Det is practically on the border) then through into Southern Vietnam, up to Hanoi and out of Hanoi to your next destination.

We travelled from Don Det direct to Hanoi, and whilst the journey makes for a nice story I wouldn't recommend it!

#6 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 08:08

• JRSB

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011
    Location United States

Good call with the flight from Chiang Mai.

We are headed to Luang Prabang from Chiang Rai (by boat) in another two weeks - it will most likely be a tough journey.

I know that traveling from Laos to Vietnam is not easy by bus or train... I would suggest what travellingsarah said, Don Det is right by the Cambodian border after all. Then you can head into HCMC and go from south to north Vietnam anyway you please!

#7 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 16:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"However, I know its very easy, pretty cheap, and doesn't take too long (at least, under a day) to just get a coach from chiang mai to laos anyway. Loads of ppl do it and just about every guesthouse in chiang mai sells tickets"

Joe, just getting to Laos from Chiang Rai isn't so bad. But getting to Luang Prabang - that's a long, brutal trip.

#8 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 00:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.