Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

ko tao at the moment

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

hi,

is anyone in, or has anyone recently left, ko tao?

(i'm writing this on thursday 15th september, 2011)

I'm on my way there and was wondering if the weather might affect my plans for doing a diving course?

#1 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 17:00

• Advertisement

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

I've not done a course on Koh Tao yet myself, but i have a friend who just finished one there last week, and he didn't mention any difficulties when we talked about it. This is obviously not conclusive evidence one way or another, but maybe at least good enough reason to be optimistic!

#2 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 23:07

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

cheers, you're right - that's enough to be optimistic! especially seeing as the fact it's raining somewhere else was enough to get me pessimistic in the first place...

booking the trip in a minute - i found some travel agencies organising it for 500baht... i wonder if i should be skeptical of such a great deal...

#3 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 12:21

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Places visited:
    At least 49

It depends on where you're coming from and what the agent gets out of it/the volume of people that they have making the journey along with you. Im skeptical of travel agents in general... I've found that they usually can be avoided, though they often do make things simpler when island hopping. Either way, you'll find out soon enough! Safe travels

#4 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 12:31

• joe_leviente

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

yeah, easy enough to avoid em but it seems that its not only easier to book it through em, but also cheaper... at least according to the prices i've seen.

That's what's making me skeptical - alongside stories of bags being rummaged through on busses. But no-one's going to want to steal my dirty old clothes eh?

#5 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 12:37

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Places visited:
    At least 49

yep, keep it simple and you generally don't have too much to worry about! good rule of thumb for traveling.

#6 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 13:24

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I just left Koh Tao on 7th September... I don't know if anything has changed since then but we left because the tides changed and the water was really murkey and there was so much driftwood washing up onto the beach to the point you could barely get on the beach.

We didn't go diving so it may be different depending on what spots you go to but we went on a snorkelling trip and 3 out of 5 of the places were so murkey and full of dead coral it was pointless being there.

However, I'm sure the dive centres will have a back up plan and if some areas are murkey I'm more than sure they will have suitable areas they can take you elsewhere.

#7 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 17:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.